Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 3.5 Premuim Lift

Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the AEV 3.5 with a manual and stock driveshafts. Although i just installed the lift a few weeks ago and havent really stretched it out disconnected on any tough trails yet, I can tell you that the angle of the front driveshaft at the transfer case is very steep and that I have driveline vibration now which i didnt have at stock height (most noticeable at 45-55mph).

The front driveshaft has a Rzeppa CV joint at the upper portion coming out of the transfer case. The bottom of the rubber boot at that joint is pretty close to the bottom of the transfer case housing. I have read (and also suspect) that the boot can rub and tear if you are disconnected and the suspension is stretched out.

At the lower portion of the front driveshaft, there is a single u-joint. The main problem with this joint is trying to balance castor adjustment versus drive line angles. For a single u-joint, the less angle the better. Unfortunately, when you want to increase your castor setting, you increase the drive shaft u-joint angle. This increases driveline stress and vibration. I've been messing with castor adjustments/driveshaft angles for the past few weeks to try to find something liveable on both ends.

I'm going to run my stock driveshaft for now and keep a real close eye on it, but i know down the line, i think it will need to be addressed. The good news is that you can pick either lift because you are going to have the same driveshaft problems at that height.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyB
What TF kit compares. I guess the 3" kit with shocks and lower flex arms?
I would say it is more equivalent to the 4" TF lift.

Quick Reply: AEV 3.5 Premuim Lift