Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 3.5 Premuim Lift

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV 3.5 Premuim Lift

So after hours of searching lifts I think I have narrowed it down to this kit. I like the parts that come with it as well as the shock setup. I will not be hitting many big rock trails so the CA brackets will not be a huge problem right now.

My concern is with my drive shaft with the automatic. If you have an auto and the 3.5 lift please let me know if it was a problem, if so how bad. I have heard of trimming the skid.

My goal is to get 3-3.5" complete kit w/ nice shocks at $1500 give or take a 100.

The only other kit I am looking at is the TF 3" with all CA's
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Default AEV 3.5 Premuim Lift

I am going with the same lift. Finalizing everything with Northridge today to do the intstall.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shaft will hit the tranny pan with or without the skid. I know on my 4.5" that uses the same shocks for down travel I melted to boot of the driveshaft on the exhaust crossover also. You could trim the skid pretty much all the way back to the exhause cross over, but at that point you have eliminated all the strenght to the skid. I would recomend getting an after market shaft eventually, and run an aftermarket skid if you think you will be hitting it. If you are hitting your tranny pan though you will also be hitting your exhast cross over and your tranny cross member first, so I am not too concerned since these aren't protected on the 6 speed.

I also ran a Tera 2.5" kit with shock extensions and had the same driveshaft issues.

Last edited by Littlejon; 05-19-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the 3.5 Premium lift and the skid only interferes with the DS at extreme droop. The main issue is tearing the boot and having the lube splatter. I have not installed the drop brackets yet which will help.

The TF and the AEV provide different features. The AEV is pricey for the components you get, but it will provide outstanding handling on the road and off road at speed above 10-15 MPH and very competitive crawling performance.

From a pure components perspective the TF is a better value and a great kit, but IMO it doesn't offer the handling refinement of the AEV kit.

Either kit will be a good choice.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Is this a problem with the manual transmission? I have a 6 speed and just orded this lift.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08_yellow_unlimited
Is this a problem with the manual transmission? I have a 6 speed and just orded this lift.
No you should not have a problem
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
I'm running the 3.5 Premium lift and the skid only interferes with the DS at extreme droop. The main issue is tearing the boot and having the lube splatter. I have not installed the drop brackets yet which will help.

The TF and the AEV provide different features. The AEV is pricey for the components you get, but it will provide outstanding handling on the road and off road at speed above 10-15 MPH and very competitive crawling performance.

From a pure components perspective the TF is a better value and a great kit, but IMO it doesn't offer the handling refinement of the AEV kit.

Either kit will be a good choice.
What TF kit compares. I guess the 3" kit with shocks and lower flex arms?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

I rode in my fellow Jeep club members Rubi with a 4.5" AEV lift. He had issues with the drive shaft. We can hear it chirping like a little bird. However it sure road very nice. He has a bunch of weight on the front with his winch, a LoD tire carrier at the rear, and full armor under the belly. I am impressed enough to purchase one. I don't care for the 37" wheels and the 4.5" lift, too high for me. I run a 4" lift and 33" tires on my Scrambler and that is too high for freeway driving above 60 mph. Us old guys get tired of the high climb in. I'm thinking of going to a 2" lift on the Scrambler and 32" tires. I think nothing bigger than 35" and the 3.5 lift on the new Rubi if I put one on.

But I really like the ride quality and full rack to rack steering - no loss in capabilities on the JK AEV kit.

What is the difference between the premium and standard AEV kits?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

I've got the AEV 4.5" Premium & TF Monster Arms on order w/Desert Rat. I have the Tom Wood's shafts in the garage awaiting the arrival of all my parts. Desert Rat advised that any lift over 2.5" requires replacing the factory shafts. I don't have personal knowledge.

I'm even more excited after hearing the positive comments. I chose the AEV for the superior ride (as reported by others and magazines). The vast majority of my driving has been on-road. I do like to air down and get out in the rocks and trails when time allows.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:02 PM
PAS
JK Newbie

If you have a 6 speed with the 4.5 it might hit at full droop. I ran mine with the stock shaft on the AEV 4.5 for 6 months without an issue. I finally broke down and bought the Tom Woods front and rear shaft and have only installed the front. I have 90000 km on my unlimited rubicon and my rear is still holding out great with no shimmy what so ever. AEV has come out with a stock like front drive shaft that is much stronger than stock without the boot and bolts right on the stock location. Apparently the stock style drive shaft can handle about 2100 psi compared to the aftermarket CV style which can handle 1850 psi. I am no mechanic and am just regurgitating something that I read recently that I found interesting.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: AEV 3.5 Premuim Lift