Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 3.5 lift

Old 06-23-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV 3.5 lift

I was set on getting a AEV 3.5 lift for my 15 JKU and want to limit to 35" because of the Dana 30. I don't plan on any rock crawling or mudd'n. This will be a straight up overland vehicle. The issue is I have been doing a lot of reading and research now I am having second thoughts. The reason being is the relocation brackets for the front lower control arms seem to pose an issue with ground clearance..... Is it that bad? The other issue I read about is how weak the tie rod end and drag link are and when you go to 35" and if they are not worn out they soon will be. I have read YETI is the best remedy for this. I know the AEV kit comes with a new drop link but can I use the YETI on it?

IF there is something better than AEV or any thoughts about other lifts or if the YETI doesn't work with the AEV, what do you recommend?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Grimes
...I don't plan on any rock crawling or mudd'n. This will be a straight up overland vehicle....
Based on what you said, the AEV 3.5", as it comes, will be more than enough to meet your needs. The interweb will make you second guess everything.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

AEV are great lifts, especially for maintaining/improving on-road driving manners while giving you those off-road capabilities. Personally, I feel they're over priced but if they can get those prices then who am I to criticize?

I'm sure you will get a lot of recommendations for similar Rock Krawler, OME and Metal Cloak lifts as well. They're similar premium lifts which come with premium price tags as well, depending on how complete you want the lift to be.

If you're planning on going with 35's, you might also want to consider the AEV 2.5" dualsport. Most report 3.5 to 4in actual with the AEV 2.5" lift which is plenty of lift for 35's. If you want to go larger than 35's in the future then go with a 3in to 4in lift.

Personally, I was originally all in on the AEV lifts, they seemed to fit my personal preferences of what I was looking for in a lift the best. Improved over stock on-road handling, fit 35's, decent flex for off-road uses. Then I started reading about and comparing the AEV's lifts to the latest Mopar 2in and 4in lifts. In my opinion, Mopar has hit a home run with these more recent lifts in regards to completeness, on-road handling and off-road flexing. Some that have experienced both, the AEV and Mopar lifts on their JK have stated the Mopar rides better on-road. They also mention the Mopar has more flex due to the included FOX shocks which have more extension capability than the AEV included Bilsteins. When I did an apples to apples comparison it seemed the Mopar lifts also included additional components to further address/adjust other problems associated with lifting your JK. Then to top it all off, the Mopar lifts cost much less. Give me the same or better performance, more completeness, all at a lower cost and I'm in. YMMV.

The Mopar 2in lift provides 3in of lift actual, which is perfect for tires up to 35in.

Something else to keep in mind since you have a 2015 if you plan on flexing your lift off-road. With the 2012+ 3.6L engine, FCA moved the exhaust routing under the front drive shaft. The flexing off-road will cause the front driveshaft to sag down and interfere with the exhaust which eventually leads to the drive shaft having to be replaced. Most of the kits don't provide a solution for this problem and you will need to additionally purchase a different drive shaft or an exhaust spacer kit. The mopar kits include a drive shaft to address this problem.

Here's a post from someone who used exhaust spacers which is a cheaper solution over a drive shaft replacement.

I put the exhaust spacer kit in that they sell. I put about 12,000 miles on my Jeep before the front drive shaft developed a very slight vibration at highway speeds. I put an Adams driveshaft up front and that problem was solved. If I had it to do over again, I'd just get the driveshaft in when I do the lift. Those exhaust spacers were the worst part of the whole lift by far. I had to cut an inch off the end of my Y-pipe to get it to slide in further.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

AEV Dual Sport XT Suspension 2.5" is more than a enough for 35s. AEV Suspensions are made for heavy bumpers like AEV or ARB. If you are going to install heavy bumpers you want to consider AEV or EMU. I previously owned 2014 Willys JKU and just purchased a 2016 Rubicon JKU and basically set both up with AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT Suspension, AEV Drop Brackets, ARB Front Bull Bumper and Rear Bumper and Carrier, and Goodyear Duratrac 35s. Great DD and handles good on and off road. Also the Mopar 2" Lift Kit with new Front Driveshaft is also a good choice but the only negative is the cam bolts which I would replace with Drop Brackets or Synergy Longer Fixed Lower Control Arms. Mopar more expensive but you do get a Dana Front Driveshaft with the Lift Kit.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by WillysWheeler
AEV Dual Sport XT Suspension 2.5" is more than a enough for 35s. AEV Suspensions are made for heavy bumpers like AEV or ARB. If you are going to install heavy bumpers you want to consider AEV or EMU. I previously owned 2014 Willys JKU and just purchased a 2016 Rubicon JKU and basically set both up with AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT Suspension, AEV Drop Brackets, ARB Front Bull Bumper and Rear Bumper and Carrier, and Goodyear Duratrac 35s. Great DD and handles good on and off road. Also the Mopar 2" Lift Kit with new Front Driveshaft is also a good choice but the only negative is the cam bolts which I would replace with Drop Brackets or Synergy Longer Fixed Lower Control Arms. Mopar more expensive but you do get a Dana Front Driveshaft with the Lift Kit.
Good stuff, I'm just not sure I agree with the Mopar kit 2.0" kit being more expensive than the AEV 2.5". I looked at it as an apples to apples comparison. The AEV 2.5" is always around $1k. For the Mopar 2.0" lift with the driveshaft that can be found for around $1200.
http://www.moparamerica.com/oe-mopar/77070088ac

So you're essentially getting a needed drive shaft for $200 more with the Mopar kit than the AEV without it. Add in a driveshaft to the AEV kit and your at $1500. The Mopar 2in lift without the Driveshaft is more of an apples to apples comparison, I purchased if for $760. So $240 less than the AEV and includes everything the AEV 2.5 includes and while the cam bolts aren't an optimal solution, the AEV kit doesn't even include cam bolts as a solution. Instead they're essentially guiding you into purchasing their correction bracket for another $100. Both kits can benefit from Geo brackets, but at least the Mopar kit provides cam bolts as a solution.
http://www.moparpartsdiscounted.com/.../77070089.html

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-23-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the AEV 3.5" lift with 35s. It rides great. I don't offroad, but the road manners are awesome. I did have to replace the drag link after 2 years when I experienced the dreaded death wobble. That was disappointing. Ended up with a heavy duty drag link with moog ends. Now I'm happy again. Still would buy the AEV lift again, but would probably buy the 2.5" since it would still fit 35s.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on the aev 2.5 if you get the exhaust spacers you wont have any front driveshaft issues. they are like 40.00.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i don't understand is, why don't the aftermarket manufacturer's just make a true dual exhaust kit for the 3.6 pentastar motor? and do away with the loop under the driveshaft and the issue's associated with it. i do like the AEV products, a friend of mine had the 2.5inch lift and 33's and it worked great!

Last edited by Giuliano Rosso; 06-24-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all very much for the input! Very educational!!!
Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giuliano Rosso
what i don't understand is, why don't the aftermarket manufacturer's just make a true dual exhaust kit for the 3.6 pentastar motor? and do away with the loop under the driveshaft and the issue's associated with it. i do like the AEV products, a friend of mine had the 2.5inch lift and 33's and it worked great!
i think because the cats and whole y pipe are 1 piece.

Quick Reply: AEV 3.5 lift