Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 2.5" lift. What else

Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by espi
thanks it rides great the rear is a little taller still, but a rear bumper will fix that. I will also prob get an adjustable front track bar eventually. My axle is offset 1/2 inch. I got 2.75" lift front and about 3.5 rear. The Rancho brackets are awesome. They were a breeze to install. Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
How was the rest of the kit to install ? About how long did it take u ?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too long lol. I did it by myself and it took about 16 hrs but I was a dumb ass and installed the front springs in the rear. I started at 9pm and the rear bracket F-d me all up. I had to strap it in place because I t wouldn't fit right. May be my axle or the bracket. Then by the time I was putting the springs in it was like 1am. There are no part number correlations in the directions either. I thought the rear looked high, but really noticed when I had the front apart and the springs wouldn't go on. I had to put the entire keep on jack stands and pull the rear apart again and swap the springs. The biggest hassle with the front was the damn shocks. The install could easily be done in 8-10 her by one person. The 16 hrs includes installing the Geo brackets, new grade 8 hardware, tire rotation and checking the torque of all the bolts after torquing.

There is nothing difficult about the install just time consuming and the directions are lacking. They never tell you to reconnect the front track bar.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Too long lol. I did it by myself and it took about 16 hrs but I was a dumb ass and installed the front springs in the rear. I started at 9pm and the rear bracket F-d me all up. I had to strap it in place because I t wouldn't fit right. May be my axle or the bracket. Then by the time I was putting the springs in it was like 1am. There are no part number correlations in the directions either. I thought the rear looked high, but really noticed when I had the front apart and the springs wouldn't go on. I had to put the entire keep on jack stands and pull the rear apart again and swap the springs. The biggest hassle with the front was the damn shocks. The install could easily be done in 8-10 her by one person. The 16 hrs includes installing the Geo brackets, new grade 8 hardware, tire rotation and checking the torque of all the bolts after torquing. There is nothing difficult about the install just time consuming and the directions are lacking. They never tell you to reconnect the front track bar. Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Longer springs in front right
Well it looks good man and I have a silver 2013 4 door so that gives me a great idea on how it will look other than I still have stock rims and bumpers .. I have someone that is gonna help me But not sure how soon I will get to it .. I'm hoping next week
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

One of the hardest parts is torquing 14 bolts to 130ft/lbs while in awkward positions. You get tired and sore quick lol.

If I were to do it again I would start in the morning after being well rested. Also a second set of eyes never hurts.

If you have any questions PM me and ill give you my number.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Beaker541
Longer springs in front right
Well it looks good man and I have a silver 2013 4 door so that gives me a great idea on how it will look other than I still have stock rims and bumpers .. I have someone that is gonna help me But not sure how soon I will get to it .. I'm hoping next week
Yup longer up front, like I said I was just a dumb ass and tired. I didn't get done with the rear till 330 am.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I will also prob get an adjustable front track bar eventually. My axle is offset 1/2 inch.
Didn't the kit come with a new front track bar? I figured it was already produced to proper size...
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Didn't the kit come with a new front track bar? I figured it was already produced to proper size...
it comes with a new rear and bracket. The front is still stock. I am not sure if I want to get the TF monster TB for the easy adjustment or get a cheaper one that you have to disconnect one end.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Of the two, I'd opt for the Teraflex design. My question is how necessary is it? My unlifted front axle shifts about an eighth of an inch either way from day to day. If the AEV lift increases that to a quarter-inch, will it affect things enough to justify the expense of a new track bar?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
Of the two, I'd opt for the Teraflex design. My question is how necessary is it? My unlifted front axle shifts about an eighth of an inch either way from day to day. If the AEV lift increases that to a quarter-inch, will it affect things enough to justify the expense of a new track bar?
If it's only about half and inch (usually happens with 2.5" of lift) it's not mandatory. I've ran thousands of miles with my axles a half inch to one side with no ill effects.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Having your axle off center by 1/2" will put you in a position where you are more likely to break your shocks. They're mounted vertical and you're now pushing them sideways. When you flex and that tight clearance gets even tighter......pop goes the shock.

Additionally, your control arm bushings are all experiencing extra (no exact percentage) wear over properly centered axles. It's not just about looks.

Quick Reply: AEV 2.5" lift. What else