Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 2.5" lift vs. Mopar 2" lift

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AEV 2.5" lift vs. Mopar 2" lift

I'd like to hear opinions on a comparison of these two lifts. I have a JKUR with AEV front bumper & Warn winch. Running 33s now, but will go to 35s. I do 1-2 Jamborees a year; not my daily driver, but looking for a decent onroad ride. Read some negative comments about the Bilsteins that come with the $1000 AEV Kit; the Mopar with Fox Shocks for $995 looks compelling (this is the kit with no front driveshaft). Thoughts on the two from people's experience? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on the AEV 3.5 lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks on a few months ago. I felt the Bilsteins had a choppy ride and switched them out for the fox 2.0 . The shop I worked with had to order the 2.0 shocks from BDS, when ordered from fox the shocks for this length lift were short for what ever reason even though the parts number was correct for my lift, BDS has a different part number for them and they were correct in length. The ride is better IMO, there are lots of write ups, opinions and research here if you look for it. There are so many ways to go with a build but the one thing that is always cheapest is to research and do it right, cutting corners causes you spend more money and time to fix it. Good luck,
Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends on how you are going to equip and how you are going to use your JKU. I installed the first July the AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension with AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets and Spidertrax Black 1.5” Spacers with Factory Willys Wheeler 17” Wheels and Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/70/R17 Tires. I gained 3.5" from my factory Willys/Rubicon Suspension. That is with ARB Deluxe Front Bull Bumper and Smittybilt X2O-10K Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch which weigh over 180lbs. The rear I have ARB Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier and tire/wheel and weigh over 195lbs. My suspension has not sag and almost level. I use it as a DD and driven over 4000 miles and the AEV Suspension and tires handles and rides great. You see a lot of positive feedback on AEV and the reason I went with AEV because of the heavy bumpers I installed on my JKU.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0708152015a.jpg
Views:	1783
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	629482Click image for larger version

Name:	0708152015.jpg
Views:	4067
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	629483Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1791.JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	629484
Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Thanks Willy. I have the same rear bumper, and the AEV front bumper with Warn winch. I'm guessing some of the mopar price is just because their name is on it. You have 35s; with that much lift my 33s are going to look small. Maybe I need new tires before I do the lift! The domino effect.... Story of our Jeeping lives!
Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
I'd like to hear opinions on a comparison of these two lifts. I have a JKUR with AEV front bumper & Warn winch. Running 33s now, but will go to 35s. I do 1-2 Jamborees a year; not my daily driver, but looking for a decent onroad ride. Read some negative comments about the Bilsteins that come with the $1000 AEV Kit; the Mopar with Fox Shocks for $995 looks compelling (this is the kit with no front driveshaft). Thoughts on the two from people's experience? Thanks.
Trying to decide between the two myself. I'm using more as a daily drive so its on road is fairly important to me. Keep us updated on which one you go with, really interested in how it works out
Old 11-13-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jake9897
Trying to decide between the two myself. I'm using more as a daily drive so its on road is fairly important to me. Keep us updated on which one you go with, really interested in how it works out
I think you'd be happy either way. I just installed the MOPAR 2" on my '16 Rubicon 2DR and am very pleased. I used the AEV GCB's and it rides a bit more firm but pleasantly so- not harsh at all and better than stock.

The kit I got had the front DS and when you look at the cost, if you subtract $500 for the DS and add $100 to each kit for the GCB's- they are about the same.

You will be pleased with either of those excellent kits.

Gary
Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

I've had the AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension with AEV Geometry Correction on my Jeep for over a year now and can't say enough good stuff about it. Drives great on and off road given the heavy 35's and overall added weight. It is leaps and bounds better than my old 2008 Jeep with a 2.5 Skyjacker lift.

I do recommend a brake upgrade which I am considering investing in. Heavy braking at 65 mph on the freeway told me that it may be my next Mod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	630087  

Last edited by Pepperdine; 11-13-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

I have an 2009 era AEV 4.5 lift. The springs have never sagged and although I don't have a 2.5 lift, the springs made by AEV are worth their weight in gold.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

I just finished overloading my brain with research when I was considering a lift. AEV was on my list. I also considered Metalcloak and Rock Krawler. In the end, I decided to go with a Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex kit and added Rancho 9000 shocks. I've had the lift for a couple weeks now, and I love the ride quality. For daily driving on the local roads around here, I like the shocks set to 4. I dropped them down to 3 yesterday, and while they absorb some of the little bumps more, I feel the Jeep is more bouncy. I'll be spending about 45 seconds tomorrow dialing them back up to 4. If you're concerned about the shocks that come with the kits, consider getting the Ranchos, so you can adjust them to the ride quality you prefer. I'm very happy I went this route. I've tried three different settings, and I believe I've found the one I like best.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Thank you for all of the replies. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: AEV 2.5" lift vs. Mopar 2" lift