Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advise on repainting, poorly done at factory

Old 03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on repainting, poorly done at factory

I have wanted to pull my spare and relocate my license plate as I think surfblue? Did in a right up a little while back. I recently saw a jku drive by with it done and it looked bad ass so I finally decided to do it this weekend. I ordered the license plate delete and mopar spray paint, got my trim retainers at the part store and took off the spare and carrier. I was disappointed to find that the paint was very poorly done under the carrier and I want to fix it. The top left is the worst area.
I am wondering a few things... Should I pay to have this small area done professionally? My inexperienced assumption would be about $150 to do this.

Can I do this myself with the mopar spray and blend it well enough so that it looks "pretty good"? I am very detailed but have not done anything outside of scratch touch up before.

Or... Should I buy I Tramp stamp and paint it...

Would love some opinions on this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-417655585.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	290290  
Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3052422367.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	290295

I found the same thing when I removed mine. It looked like crap. So i purchased the tailgate center with the third brakelight and license plate relocater...I love the look with no spare. I'll just throw the spare in the back when I go wheelin' or take any long trips. If I get a flat in the city, I'll call AMA.

As for painting it yourself, there is a technique required with any spraying that most people don't realize. I wouldn't attempt it unless you have experience with it.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sooley6
Attachment 290295

I found the same thing when I removed mine. It looked like crap. So i purchased the tailgate center with the third brakelight and license plate relocater...I love the look with no spare. I'll just throw the spare in the back when I go wheelin' or take any long trips. If I get a flat in the city, I'll call AMA.

As for painting it yourself, there is a technique required with any spraying that most people don't realize. I wouldn't attempt it unless you have experience with it.
yeah i know painting on a car is no joke, but I only am considering it because if i ever sell it then i would just put the spare back on...
Old 03-17-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could just bedline the whole tailgate, seen that done before.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You could just bedline the whole tailgate, seen that done before.
I was considering doing just the square back there, like a painted on tramp stamp
Old 03-17-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipwalter
I was considering doing just the square back there, like a painted on tramp stamp
That'd be cheap and easy.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipwalter

yeah i know painting on a car is no joke, but I only am considering it because if i ever sell it then i would just put the spare back on...
All these mods total $160 bucks and it uses the same bolts as stock. If I wanna put the spare back on, I'll pop off the plate and put it back on with no troubles. I think it'd be easier to sell bringing back to stock rather than bedlining or risking a poor paint job IMO... But if I had no intension of selling I'd definitely bedline it. I think that looks awesome!

Quick Reply: Advise on repainting, poorly done at factory