Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advise for gear change

Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I'm not assuming everyone has the same skill set. If you read my posts on the fist page. I said what may be easy for some might be over another's head. If it's your first time get someone who has done it before to help then the process will burn into your head and you can pass the knowledge on. This is not a pissing contest who has better wrenching skills but if someone wants to learn how to do it don't be a negative nelly about it. If time is important and you can't have your Jeep down for a few days then by all means take it to a shop. For a lot of us it's a hobby and not a DD so if I mess up something I can still get to work on Monday. Most of us that do all the wrench work have pride in or Jeep and want to pass any knowledge we can to help another person who is willing to learn.
Lol, two different people here. Glad to see you took your Prozac, and calmed down.

And this is why JK's are the most hated Jeep on the trails. Because more than half of them are Yuppies that cant change out an axle shaft or a blown tire out on the trail. Since I drove a JK I had to earn my respect in my club Most of them are in YJ's or TJ's running 60's with LS swaps hydro steer and the works. Sad part is most JK owners don't know trail etiquette and go out to places without cell service without a CB or Ham radio. If your serious about this Jeep life you should try to educate yourself on the workings of your Jeep. Maybe we can get some Trail respect as the Yuppies trade their old JK's in for a new Shiny JL
Old 12-08-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still stand behind that JK's are the most hated Jeepers on the trail. But in time those yuppie people will move on to the JL.

Good luck with your gear change either way you go you will feel the difference and wished you had done it sooner.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still stand behind that JK's are the most hated Jeepers on the trail. But in time those yuppie people will move on to the JL. Good luck with your gear tonight change either way you go you will feel the difference and wished you had done it sooner.
It's funny that you lump all JK owners into one category. I drive a JK, but guess what, I've owned a XJ, a YJ, and grew up wheeling with my Dad in a CJ.

And here in Southern California I would say that JK's out number every other type of vehicle on the trails 2:1.Are a lot of those people new to the hobby? Yes. Are a lot of them maybe not the greatest mechanic or maybe the don't know exactly what they are doing? Yes. But they are not the problem, it's guys like you who look at them and get pissed and think "stupid yuppie " instead why not invite them to go out with your group teach them, talk to them, all these new "yuppies" in the hobby is what will
Keep trails open , it's what will drive the aftermarket to continue push our hobby and bring new products to us.

We are all off-roaders, I don't understand the whole us vs them mentality some guys have .
Old 12-08-2016, 08:24 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
The gauntlet has been thrown boys! Lol.

The main reason why I haven't changed them out yet is because I refuse to throw anymore $$ away at that damn D30. Rear gear change won't happen either way until the front (or maybe even both front/rear) axle gets swapped out.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resqman911
it's what will drive the aftermarket to continue push our hobby and bring new products to us. We are all off-roaders, I don't understand the whole us vs them mentality some guys have .
It's what drives the price of jk aftermarket products up twice as much as any other jeep.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
It's what drives the price of jk aftermarket products up twice as much as any other jeep.
Prime example
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3639625260.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	662353   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-571896161.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	662354  
Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

We do with smiles on our faces. I can't count the times I'v helped someone on the trail. I'm all about helping a Jeeper in need and teaching people how to do stuff. I don't put anyone down I'm just making observations from my experience on the trails.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Prime example
Do you think the hobby would be better without all these new people? I'm asking honestly? Do you think KOH would be broadcast on TV if this was a niche hobby? When demand goes up , you are right , prices go up also. the introduction of a 4 door wrangler brought a lot of people into the hobby, and I'm happy to see all the new people on the trails.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Are you happy about them Leaving trash all over the trails? Rutting up and destroying the trails because they don't have the right setup for a trail and or Just don't care. Our Group Picks up trash, carts in trailers of sand and rocks to restore the trails. Its only gotten worse over the years. You have the right to your opinion and so does everyone else.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resqman911
Do you think the hobby would be better without all these new people? I'm asking honestly? Do you think KOH would be broadcast on TV if this was a niche hobby? When demand goes up , you are right , prices go up also. the introduction of a 4 door wrangler brought a lot of people into the hobby, and I'm happy to see all the new people on the trails.
I have no problem with "these people" being in the hobby... I was simply saying that the price of aftermarket products for the jk are usually substantially high than other models. I believe that correlates with the general demographic of jeep owners.

Quick Reply: Advise for gear change