Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice with susp/tire upgrades please!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the 2nd set I have owed and I have never had a problem with them in any situation.... 2wd in the ice is a white knuckle ride though 4wd is much nicer.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Heres a quick clip of how they work in the mud
OP I hope this helps with your tire choice a bit (sorry for the hijack)

I didn't see the log until my buddy told me it was there
Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just a note - those Xterrains are directional tires, which may (or may not...) be something for you to consider when purchasing.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

directional tires?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

yeah they can only be mounted one way, Xterrains, Baja Claws, MTR Kevlar these are just a couple of directional tred patterns. I just rotate the ones that are on the jeep and keep the spare new until the 4 are worn then i buy 3 new ones and use an old for a spare

see how the pattern makes a V shape.... if you put them on backwards the tire wouldnt work as it is suppose to
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

if you put them on backwards the tire wouldnt work as it is suppose to
There was a post not too long ago about an insurance claim being denied because of directional tires mounted on the wrong side of the jeep. Not trying to talk anyone out of them, just saying it is something to be aware of when you purchase...
Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There was a post not too long ago about an insurance claim being denied because of directional tires mounted on the wrong side of the jeep. Not trying to talk anyone out of them, just saying it is something to be aware of when you purchase...
Geez ehh..... anything to gyp a guy out of his warrenty
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

LOL, not warranty work. I believe it was a traffic accident that totaled the jeep, and the insurance company said "sorry, you lost control due to the tires running backwards on the wrong sides of the vehicle. You get to pay for the new jeep yourself."

Anyway, just something that was posted on here a while back. No clue how accurate it was, but I can imagine an insurance company doing just that to get out of a claim...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Ok so I've decided on a Rough Country 3.25" lift with coils/ shocks. I went with this one as its priced very competitively. It seems most lifts when priced in Canadian funds end up being pretty pricey. Now realizing that in most cases you get what you pay for I've done tons of homework and this seems to be the best bang for my buck as the kit ends up being about $589 Canadian.

I'm still pretty torn between the Pro comp A/T's and the MTR kevlar. I'm gonna call around tomorrow for a quote on the MTR's. I just got two prices on the Pro Comps. One guy wanted $360 Canadian each (4th one free) and another guy I went to said he'd sell em' for $320 each (4th free again) to get my business. Problem is the second guy seemed pretty greasy so if I go with these I'll see if the first guy will match the greasy guys pricing .

I'll update soon. Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good build plan you got. Just have to throw out my $.02. You might want to consider getting new wheels and tires. If you look at the price your gonna pay for rubber on your stock 18's compared to the cost af the same size for say a 15-16" wheel you can sometimes actually save money buying new wheels.

I have a friend in the same boat, he wants 35" KM2's for his JK, in his local area they are about $385 each, Where as 35" KM2s for a 16" wheel are about $255 each and a nice soft 8 is about $75, he would save nearly $55 a wheel just buying new wheels and tires.

Not sure of your area, but something to look into.

Quick Reply: Advice with susp/tire upgrades please!