Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice with susp/tire upgrades please!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice with susp/tire upgrades please!

Hello all. This is my first post as I'm new in town.

I'll try and keep this to the point. I have an 07 Sahara unlimited with stock everything. I've been saving my pennies and it's finally time for a lift and new rubbers. I've decided to keep my 18" wheels that came with the rig as it will allow me to direct funds into the cost of the lift and tires.

I want to go with 35's and a 2.5 to 3" lift. I've narrowed the tires down to Pro comps (based on their recent sale) or Goodyear Mt-R's (not sure whether with or without kevlar yet) but I have no idea what type of lift to go with . I also need to know if I will need spacers? If so what size?

As I'm fairly new to this game the varying types of lifts are boggling my mind .

I need your help guys/gals...

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stickied at the top of this section is a FAQ called:

MODIFIED TECH FAQ - Answers to the Questions Every Newbie Has

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

I would suggest browsing through the Wheel & Tires, Suspension, and the then the Axles Gears & Drivetrain sections. That should help with some of your questions, and give you a whole lot more to ask...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

although searching through all of that can be hectic and confusing..i am in the same stage as you are and i am debating between the 2.5'' teraflex kit w/ shocks or the 3'' teraflex kit w/ shocks..i have been doing some research for about a month now and alot of people use and recommend the teraflex coil kits. if you go with the 2.5'' you will actually get around 3''-3.5'' of lift and same with the 3'' you can get up to 4.25'' of lift.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

if you go with the 2.5'' you will actually get around 3''-3.5'' of lift and same with the 3'' you can get up to 4.25'' of lift.
Good point. Definitely look into whichever kit you decide on just to be sure you aren't surprised with an extra inch or three.

Oh, and here is another write-up to familiarize yourself with.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Save some money and take care of most/all of this yourself...
Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Wow thanks! I've been reading a ton of posts and it seems people like the TF lifts and if the lift the above writer says I'll get from a 2.5 lift is correct then I think I've made my choice. One major thing is that this is my primary (only ) vehicle and I wanna make sure it can be aligned without incident. Any comments? And any thoughts on my narrowed down tire choices?

Thanks you guys have been great!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

I use mine as a daily driver in the same conditions you have and I have 5"s of lift and have not had a problem gertting it aligned. my Jeep actually did not need an alignment after I installed the lift... but they charged me for it anyways
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pro Comp Xtreme AT's i have heard are good in everything..snow, ice, rain, desert..i just heard they werent all that awesome in the mud
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

heres a pic of some procomps on 4"s of lift
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

john smack..nice rig..how do those tires do in the mud?

Quick Reply: Advice with susp/tire upgrades please!