Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on Rock Rail with Step

Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat as you and wanted a rock slider that could work as a step as well. I went with ACE engineering rock sliders and they work perfect. They are quite nice to use as a step and provide nice protection from the rocks as well. They also work with the rubicon rock rails to give a nice clean look. I'm looking to paint or add vinyl over the pinch seam to clean up the factory holes.

Side View

Top down view to show how far they stick out:

Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the ACE rock sliders also. Very beefy and made it really easy for the kids to get in and out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mowers 039.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	180515   Click image for larger version

Name:	mowers 037.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	180516  
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the ACE Rails.
Got mine from a local guy who sold his Jeep $100! Lightly sanded them and sprayed on some duplicor spray on bed liner. Also I sprayed my pinch seam with the bedliner too.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Word to the wife / wise. Note: the above examples are rounded, which should be OK with her. If you are looking for some flat, STEP-like, rails please don't sacrifice protection for some pretty, flat, wanna be version like that Mopar variation. If she has an ounce of upper body strength, get some quality grab handles and GO.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "problem" with the Ace ones is they are only really steps.... they don't provide ANY rocker protection. So if you don't happen to fall exactly on the step (which is very common) you're going to bust your pinch seam and rockers up.

That's why I say get the OR-Fabs, they offer complete wrap-under protection for your rocker panels.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

PSC Brawler Rockers here, excellent protection and strength

Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I 1st had the Sahara step which my (5'2") wife loved. Now I got the Smitty SRC Classic with step and they've been great so far. I've pivoted off rocks a couple times with no issues.
wife doesn't like them as much because the step area is MUCH smaller than the Sahara step. Now I'm looking at either the Hanson http://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddet...p?prod=JKRP4-P
or Teraflex
http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-...ps-4-door.html
Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks much for the replies and photos. Saw some options I had not found before. Decision time . . .

- Bob
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Teraflex sliders and recommend them. Very stout to use as a step and I've had no problems with them offroad but I've never hit them so bad that all the weight of the jeep is on them. Beware, they are pain to install. This is the only picture I could find.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Cool

I'm in the market for Rock sliders too. I hadn't seen the Hanson slider before, but I really lean towards the Poison Spyder Rock Brawlers as they use the bottom side of the body mounts for the lower anchor point. Just seems stronger to me Anybody have rock experience with the Hanson sliders?

Quick Reply: Advice on Rock Rail with Step