Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on a new Front Bumper

Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a new Front Bumper

I hate my stock front bumper, and I'm looking to change it. I'm hoping for some opinions/direction from everyone on a decent aftermarket front bumper for my jk. The problem is that I'm a poor college student on a budget. I was looking at the warn elite because I like the way it comes up on the sides to meet the finders (link below). Problem is that it's a little more than I want to spend, I'm hoping for something around the $400 range which isn't gonna be easy. Should I suck it up and spend the extra $$$ ? This jk is a daily driver that doesn't see a lot of off road use, when it does it's fairly mild.

WARN 87750 - WARN Elite Series Front Bumper with Grille Guard for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out JCR. They are about the cheapest. You can rattle can it then powder coat later when you have the cash.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

What about doing a modular type set up, ordering the main for $300-$400 ish and and adding the end plates at a later date to finish it how I want?
Anyone have any suggestions on which one?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did more research on bumpers that I care to admit. I preferred the stubby bumpers, so that is where I did the most looking.

Do your homework and look at many many sources. Believe it or not, you can sometimes get better deals on Amazon.com than from Quadratec or 4WD. And since you are in school, you can get Amazon Prime free for 6 months, and then half price per year after that. Getting free 2 day shipping on a bumper can really affect where you buy it from. I ultimately bought OR-FAB bumpers from Northridge 4x4. They gave me a discount and free shipping.

If want my spreadsheet of bumpers, PM me and I will send it to you.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Don't get some monstrous steel contraption- it'll sag your front end and then you'll be chasing your tail trying to add lift and then spacer and everything else. Flip side of that- don't get a piece of C channel and bolt it up. I've attached a picture of my own TJ that t-boned a Lexus at 25mph. The guy pulled out and I couldn't stop. It was roughly $5k of damage to the jeep and it totaled the Lexus (rear door, axle, diff, entire rear of the suv). For the JK I wish I had gone aluminum for weight but chose a narrower steel for the DD prowess. Stingers are also poor choices for a DD since they limit your turning ability (been there too.......3rd or 4th bumper on this jeep and I had multiples on other jeeps. Spend a couple bucks and do it right, you only want to do it once.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389813744683.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	523869
Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I second JCR, they make great products and have great prices. I have bounced my front off of man rocks and pushed several trees and got smoked by a Mini Van lol with no damage to my Jeep
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could VDP cap the stock bumper that would change the look for cheap. I went with the Warn Rock Crawler Stubby because it is oh soooooo aggressive and manly!

Name:	ForumRunner_20131010_203758.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	523963
Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Or Fab full width that I really like and was cheap compared to some. The quality is great and comes powder coated. My front sagged about an inch, but I used that to convince my wife I needed a lift sooner. Here is my set up.

All that said.
I do like JCRs new bumper they are designing. They make some really nice stuff.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default a little sag is better than a folded up jk motor lol

Name:	IMG_9802 (2).jpg
Views:	269
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	523966 it will be worth a set of stronger coils later
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts