Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice needed, Unlimited to pickup conversion

Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed, Unlimited to pickup conversion

I want to convert an unlimited into a "pickup". All I need to carry in the "bed" is my YZ 250 dirt bike. My idea is to install short doors in back seat area. Full doors would remain in the front. I believe the short doors are the same height as the sheet metal over the rear wheels and this would form the top of the bed in a straight line from the rear of JK to the B pilar behind the front door. I would, of cource, remove the back seat and all carpeting. The roll bars are my biggest concern. The overhead portion over the back seat would have to be removed. I would like to remove the side structure as well if possible. Will this cause an unsafe reduction in frame strength. I will not use the JK off road and i know some rollover protection will be lost, but the front rollbar over the front seats will remain and there will be no back seats. Anyone try this? Any ideas will be helpfull.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Mopar has a kit out already to do the conversion you want and it addresses the roll bars and safety issues.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

why not just get a moto jack for your hitch?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indiebarjohn
I want to convert an unlimited into a "pickup". All I need to carry in the "bed" is my YZ 250 dirt bike. My idea is to install short doors in back seat area. Full doors would remain in the front. I believe the short doors are the same height as the sheet metal over the rear wheels and this would form the top of the bed in a straight line from the rear of JK to the B pilar behind the front door. I would, of cource, remove the back seat and all carpeting. The roll bars are my biggest concern. The overhead portion over the back seat would have to be removed. I would like to remove the side structure as well if possible. Will this cause an unsafe reduction in frame strength. I will not use the JK off road and i know some rollover protection will be lost, but the front rollbar over the front seats will remain and there will be no back seats. Anyone try this? Any ideas will be helpfull.
I raced Motocross for 10 years at Washougal. Trust me here. Don't ruin your Jeep. Buy a small trailer instead. Leave your Jeep just the way it is so you can carry your clean gear in the back seat and your dirty gear and boots in the back. Plus with the rear seats down and a custom sleeping pad you can camp out at the track or riding spot.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Mopar has a kit out already to do the conversion you want and it addresses the roll bars and safety issues.
X2! The kit is around the 5K mark (install & paint extra) & is pretty much plug 'n play with all the issues the OP is pondering dealt with already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	155111-add10-lg.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	273673

Last edited by JKlad; 02-03-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: some welding is required
Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
X2! The kit is around the 5K mark (install & paint extra) & is pretty much plug 'n play with all the issues the OP is pondering dealt with already (you can even make the choice whether to weld the kit's insert panels or not, depending on what finish you can live with).

Attachment 273673
I wonder if a standard dirt bike would even fit in the bed diagonally?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
I raced Motocross for 10 years at Washougal. Trust me here. Don't ruin your Jeep. Buy a small trailer instead. Leave your Jeep just the way it is so you can carry your clean gear in the back seat and your dirty gear and boots in the back. Plus with the rear seats down and a custom sleeping pad you can camp out at the track or riding spot.
That sounds like GOOD advice to me!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Unles you have something against it, a utility trailer is the best bet
Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

AEV makes a conversion kit similar to the Mopar JK-8 kit above.

I do agree that a trailer seems like a better investment unless you have other reasons for wanting a pickup truck.

Quick Reply: Advice needed, Unlimited to pickup conversion