Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice needed regearing jk without overhauling kit.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed regearing jk without overhauling kit.

I want to regear my JK. A local shop is offering me to regear my Jeep without the overhauling kit (without install new bearings, shims, gasket.etc). They quoted me cheap but they only will install pinion and ring. They say because my JK only has 13000 miles on it, I don’t need the overhaul kit (change bearings etc.). They are a recognized shop but.... Is it acceptable or I have to stay away from this shop?. I would like your opinion guys.
Many thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

How much of a difference are they quoting you between doing it with and without the overhaul kit???

You are already spending several hundred dollars to do this, whats another $200 for an overhaul kit. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

When they are installing your new gears their is the chance that some of the old gaskets/seals will be harmed during the removal. I, personally, wouldn't want to ruin the whole differential (and possibly t-case) because the thing grenades on me 10,000 miles down the road due to a component that was harmed during removal and re-install.

Any shop, IMHO, that would recommend to someone with 13,000 miles that they don't need a rebuild kit is a little reckless and I'd personally stay away from them.

Just my 2-cents
Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jpjk2009
I want to regear my JK. A local shop is offering me to regear my Jeep without the overhauling kit (without install new bearings, shims, gasket.etc). They quoted me cheap but they only will install pinion and ring. They say because my JK only has 13000 miles on it, I don’t need the overhaul kit (change bearings etc.). They are a recognized shop but.... Is it acceptable or I have to stay away from this shop?. I would like your opinion guys.
Many thanks for your help in advance.
hey talk to GAry at LUNATIC CUSTOMS he has a special on re-gearing and is located up north near Dallas. I bet if you explain to him what you situation is he might be able to explain to you some does and don't, plus he has a special right now on re-gearing. Shop around and ask questions never hurts to be well informed and prepared with questions.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...unatic-Customs
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
How much of a difference are they quoting you between doing it with and without the overhaul kit???

You are already spending several hundred dollars to do this, whats another $200 for an overhaul kit. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

When they are installing your new gears their is the chance that some of the old gaskets/seals will be harmed during the removal. I, personally, wouldn't want to ruin the whole differential (and possibly t-case) because the thing grenades on me 10,000 miles down the road due to a component that was harmed during removal and re-install.

Any shop, IMHO, that would recommend to someone with 13,000 miles that they don't need a rebuild kit is a little reckless and I'd personally stay away from them.

Just my 2-cents
I think exactly the same like you. This is why I am asking. The difference is $500 in price.
The are asking for $950 front and rear but only installing pinion and ring. No new bearings, no new gaskets etc. I think I go to stay away from them.
Thank you for your advice!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

249 drivetrain?

Check the reviews on Houstons 'Yahoo Local', I posted my experience there...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like this shop. Thers no reason to replace those bearings. 13,000 is brand new for bearings. The only thing that could go wrong is if they over tighten them on the carrier and thats the same for new bearings. They probably just want to use a basic install kit (shims and gasgets). Sounds perfect for your aplication.

This shop sounds like straight shooters to me, and I like the no BS kind of shops.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should take it to a shop that you know you can trust. Keep in mind there are a lot of shady shops out there. But 13,000 miles is not a lot of miles and I wouldn't worry about buying new bearings to put in there. You will be fine without them just as long as the shop don't make a mistake with the install and this same mistake can happen putting new bearings in. Just need to take it to a trustworthy shop as with any other repair.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
249 drivetrain?

Check the reviews on Houstons 'Yahoo Local', I posted my experience there...
I did read the review. I was in another local shop last weekend asking for quotes and a guy there was telling about a bad experience in this place also.
Thank you !!!.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

After see your comments. I think is very risky to do the gears at this place, also I have been reading bad reviews about them. I think I will go with 4wheelparts here in Houston. Problem is they are a bit more expensive, but they are including new bearing, gaskets, shims etc(Overhaul kit) I don’t know about their job quality but at least I think their warranty and customer service is good. By the way have some of you had a job done at 4wheelparts? Are you happy with their job?
Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

From the research I did before doing my regear, it seemed to me that $1,200 to $1,500 was an "average" price. I see places like Screaming Lizards doing them for $900ish, and for everyone of those guys there is somebody doing them for $1,800.

If what you are seeing for a shop you trust is in that $1,200 to $1,500 price range I'd say it's a fair deal

Quick Reply: Advice needed regearing jk without overhauling kit.