Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice needed... Proper components to do a 2.5" - 3" Lift Kit with 35" tires

Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed... Proper components to do a 2.5" - 3" Lift Kit with 35" tires

Hey all,

So I am trying to forward plan a little here and have been reading a ton of threads and such trying to inform my self a little more about Jeeps and their suspensions.
As a Jeep newb I am overwhelmed at the amount of sheer information on this forum, wow! Its great, really is.

I am planning on getting into wheeling more but not quite as hard or intense some of you. This is my first Jeep that I have owned for about a month now.

I would like to put some 35" tires all around on the Jeep at some point and at the same time buy a set of 17" or 18" wheels and also get a lift kit done. Needless to say a little saving is in order to do all of the stuff at the same time.

My motto is do it right the first time. So here I am seeking some proper advice as what specific suspension components does it take to properly lift a Jeep 2.5" - 3".

I am really interested in doing the 2.5" Teraflex lift kit comes with:
Front and Rear Coil Springs
Front and Rear Bump Stops
Rear Brake Line Brackets
Rear Sway Bar Links
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Front and Rear Shocks

but could be swayed to do the 3" Teraflex coil lift which comes with if its worth it?:
Front and Rear Coil Springs
Rear Sway Bar Links
Front Sway Bar Disconnects
Front and Rear Bump Stops
Rear Track Bar Bracket
Pair - Stainless Brake Lines
Front and Rear Shocks

So here goes my question... what else do I need to get in terms of suspension components to make sure everything underneath is in spec and aligned like it should be so that there are no issues.

So far what I have gathered in terms of additional parts that I get and install are:

Adjustable front and rear trac bars
Various adjustable control arms.

And thats all I got so far.

Assuming the Jeep does 80% on road duty and some moderate 20% off-roading what suspension components are recommended in addition to getting say a Teraflex 3" or 2.5" coil lift kit....

FYI: I have 2dr, 6spd, Sahara.

Also any recommendations on components in addition to a lift kit that will level out the rake the Jeep has?

Appreciate the help from all in advance, THANKS!!!

Last edited by Wrangler_Jay; 01-20-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Because you have a 2 door, you want the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift with shocks.

Although it would be nice to have an adjustable front trackbar and front lower adjustable control arms, they aren't really needed at 2.5"

At 2.5" with a 6 speed, you won't need to upgrade driveshafts.

If you want more articulation for offroading, then buy a pair of front JKS swaybar disconnects, install a pair of Bushwacker flat flares, and remove the front extended bumpstops that came with your TF lift.

At 3" on a 2 door, you really want the front adjustable trackbar and front lower control arms. If the shocks are long enough, you will end up needing a front driveshaft, and eventually, you will need a rear driveshaft and rear upper control arms.

Plus, at 3" on a 2 door, the rear springs tend to bow back more due to the rotation of the rear axle after you install a new rear driveshaft and rear upper control arms. So, you have to end up with some method of rear coil correction and coil retainers.

If you go with a 2.5" instead of a 3", you can allocate the saved $2000 for a front trackbar and future driveshafts, control arms, and rear coil correction toward regearing your rig to 4.88s, a Superchips Flashpaq, and a rear tire carrier.
so your saying with a 2.5" terfalex coil lift kit I really dont need to do anything else in terms of components except maybe swaybar disconnects?

I wont have any suspension alignment issues ?

thanks for the great reply btw.. informative.

Also any recommendations on components in addition to the 2.5" lift kit to level out the rake in the Jeep?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Totally agree with Planman - I have the TF 2.5 Coil lift on my 2-door and it works great on and off-road - I didn't need an alignment after doing it, just had to re-center my steering wheel. Disco's are always a good bonus!! Good luck with your lift

^^^ sounds great. thanks for replying!

You're welcome.

No. Your steering will be slightly more flighty than stock. You can toe-in about 1/16" using the self-alignment write-up on project-jk.com to minimize this.

If the flightiness is too much for you, you can always do front lower control arms and a front trackbar later, but most everyone running a 2.5" lift skips these because they are fine with how it handles without them.

I drove my 2 dr Rub for a long time on a 2.5" TF BB without an adjustable front trackbar or adjustable front lower arms with no problems at all. A couple times, I drove the 1600 mile round trip to Moab, wheeled it hard for a week, and returned home. It always felt very stable on the highway with 35s, and later 37s.
^^^^ good news i guess for sure. I will keep the front lca's and adj. front trackbar in mind though for sure. Will likely get the sway-bar disconnects.

Any suggestions on components in addition to the 2.5" lift kit for levelling out the rake that the Jeep seems to have?

thanks again so much!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
The coil kit will take care of the rake.. the front coil is longer to compensate for that.. if you have a bumper or winch you may want to add a 1/2" spacer to make up for the extra weight
sounds great. been of great help! I might look into a front bumper and winch so the spacer might be a good idea.

Speaking of bumper and winch.... does the extra added weight in-front call for any different kind of springs by any chance?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you order, let David (northridge4x4.com) know how heavy a bumper and winch you are planning to run. He can let you know if you should run 4 dr front springs instead of 2 dr front springs.

I think I saw something about a big discount on Teraflex products through David.

However, I would highly discourage you from running a very heavy, full width bumper on a 2 door JK. It affects the handling more on the short wheelbase compared to a 4 door JK. My opinion. I'd rather have a stubby or mid-width bumper that is lighter.
ok sounds great. If I were to get a new front bumper and winch I would look into the lightest possible setup anyways. Likely a mid length one of some kind.

Thanks again, I suppose this answers all my questions, lol...

Oh if anything, what about just getting the 4 door springs anyways even if I don't have a bumper and winch.... incase I later do get a front setup? Any negative's to running the 4 door springs without a bumper and winch?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Too tall. As tall or taller than 3" springs.
oh k. sounds good. better to decide before the lift then wether I want that stuff, lol.

Now Im all set. I know what I need.

Any specific swaybar disconnects you recommend? Adj front lca and trackbar?

Spacer if need be?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

JKS disconnects
Teraflex forged front trackbar
Teraflex or Currier front lower control arms
any 1/2" spacer
sounds great. thanks for all your help. I have all the info I need for now.
Will re-bump this thread if I have any other questions and/or what I decide on in terms of parts and such!

Now I know what Im saving towards and do it all at once!

Thanks again! Happy Wheeling

Quick Reply: Advice needed... Proper components to do a 2.5" - 3" Lift Kit with 35" tires