Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice needed: drive terrain noise

Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: drive terrain noise

Recently I have noticed a high pitched harmonic whine at 70mph. As soon as ilet off the gas it goes away. It is def tied to vehicle speed and not engine speed. I noticed last week when working on the Jeep that the rear driveshaft is slinging grease, however i asked the advice of a mechanic next to my work that works on truck/humvees and he said it sounded more like a ring/pinion issue.

Any thoughts? More important what would be the damage in time/hours? Im hoping for just the DS as that is a simple/cheapish upgrade.

Thank you for your help!!

>> I have the Rancho 4" sport lift on stock DS and unfortuanly rarley go offroad

Last edited by DanNEBTD; 10-01-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Slinging grease ? The front shaft has had it. Remove it just do NOT go in 4wd.

Are you running their brackets ? What's you caster angle at ?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im sorry for not clairifying . . . It is the rear driveshaft that is slinging grease at the transfercase side.

>> fixed OP

Last edited by DanNEBTD; 10-01-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Need to narrow it down,if left unchecked could get $$$. Almost sounds like a bearing going dry
Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by familytime
Need to narrow it down,if left unchecked could get $$$. Almost sounds like a bearing going dry
Did you have gears installed recently? The drive side of the R&P could be set up improperly and the coast side is OK? Also I have seen pinion bearings make this noise. Just a thought.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scubatech
Did you have gears installed recently? The drive side of the R&P could be set up improperly and the coast side is OK? Also I have seen pinion bearings make this noise. Just a thought.
gears have 20k on them . . i changed the diff fluid this weekend though and there was def. water in there as the fluid was a light brown and more of a water like consistency. I'm beginning to think my rear gears are f'd and i guess my next step should be to have them checked out.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD
gears have 20k on them . . i changed the diff fluid this weekend though and there was def. water in there as the fluid was a light brown and more of a water like consistency. I'm beginning to think my rear gears are f'd and i guess my next step should be to have them checked out.
Water definitely will etch the gears over time. I have seen pinion bearings do this and they are usually louder with speed and have a distinct whine to them. Probably time to inspect the differential for sure.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: drive terrain noise