Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on my lift.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my lift.

HI,
I am doing the RC 2.5" (II Series with all the hardware) lift with Bilstein 5100's (for up to 3" lift) and the springs off of a 4 door rubicon with a tow package. Will be putting them on my 2-door X in a few weeks.

How do you guys think this will go? the lift kit has all the brackets i should need. I dont think there are bumpstops but my buddy says i shouldnt need them.

Any advice would be great- I want this to be perfect.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

this is what comes with the kit:
Series II kit includes front and rear coil spacers, front and rear brake line brackets, front and rear shock relocation brackets, rear track bar bracket, and rear sway bar links.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the RC lift too, no bump stops & stock shocks with extensions.

No problems without stops & I've done some decent wheeling a couple of times in Barnwell Texas lie that.

One bit of advice.... go to autozone & "borrow" some spring compressors. That way you don't have to unbolt any of the suspension components. With the springs compressed, you can just slip them out & put the new ones in. This should save you at least an hour or two.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

If i put the coil spacers in with the Unlimited Rubi springs (on the 2-door) will the hardware mentioned above and the shox for up to 3" lift be enough? I am worried about the 2.5" lift + the springs causing more that a 3" lift and messing something up.

Last edited by jvm123; 04-01-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

bump?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

If i put the coil spacers in with the Unlimited Rubi springs (on the 2-door) will the hardware mentioned above and the shox for up to 3" lift be enough? I am worried about the 2.5" lift + the springs causing more that a 3" lift and messing something up.
Anyone know?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to want to get some bumpstops. The RC kits don't come with them because with the shock extensions you will hit the bumpstop prior to bottoming the shock. With the RC shock you have the bumpstop built into the shock. With the Bilstein shocks your compressed length is longer, so you will bottom the shock prior to hitting the bumpstops. This will cause you shock to fail early.

Also you will want to make sure you get some sort of brake line extension. You could do brake line relocations, or extended lines, but you will need to do something with them.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

If you purchased the Bilstein 5100 shocks that are good for 1.5" to 3" of lift (BE5-E670-HO/BE5-E671-HO), you won't need to use the shock extensions. You can move the stock rear sway bar links to the front (or get discos) and put the new longer ones in the rear. You should also consider adding bumpstop extensions and a front adjustable track bar to center the axle after the lift. See how it rides after the lift. If the steering is flighty and likes to wander, you may want to add adjustable front lower control arms to increase the caster.

Last edited by river2c; 04-01-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I appreciate all of the good feedback.
Any reccomendations for specific brands to match what i have?

Quick Reply: Advice on my lift.