Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on my build plan

Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my build plan

New JKU owner here looking for input on my build plan. I have a 2012 JKU Sahara (see below) that I just picked up a few weeks ago. I've never had a wrangler, but I've been lurking for over a year. I will be driving the jeep 80 miles per day on the expressway in icy michigan / indiana. During hunting season I travel the logging roads of the UP. They consist of deep water holes with sandy bottoms, 18" deep mud holes the consitency of spackle, and at times deep snow. I will not be rock crawling or flexing over extreme terrain. I have the automatic and 3.21 rear. Open diffs front and back. Now here is my plan:

Phase 1
285/70r17 (32.8"X11.5") Goodyear DuraTracs
AEV Savegre wheels in silver
1.5" coil spacers front and rear (two 3/4" spacers stacked)
AMP Research Power Steps

Phase 2
TrueTrac LSD front and rear
3.73 gears front and back

Note: no plans for aftermarket bumpers or armor

I know the leveling kit is popular, but I don't notice the rake and I really dislike the look of the slightly lower back end. With the heavy highway driving and loaded rear end when I am off road I think it makes sense to keep the back slightly higher.

I am torn about the 1.5" lift. I'm strongly considering only a 1" lift front and back because I like to keep things low key. A small difference, but my eye says 2" is too much and sometimes the leveling kit (3/4") leaves too little gap between the rear tire and the fender.

Questions:
1. You low key guys..... 1" or 1.5" lift?
2. Will my sway bars be ok with the stock links?
3. I shouldn't need to worry about either track bar, true?
4. Since I won't disconnect my links, I'm assuming my brake lines and shocks will be fine, true?
5. Any thoughts on AMP Power Steps?
6. The 3.21 gear ratio will still be fine for flat land cruising and no technical offroading, true?

Thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep w kids resized.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	439727  
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Questions:
1. You low key guys..... 1" or 1.5" lift?
2. Will my sway bars be ok with the stock links?
To answer both of these, you could buy the tf leveling kit and use only 1 spacer up front. Giving you 1 inch all around and new sway bar links.

3. I shouldn't need to worry about either track bar, true?
True

4. Since I won't disconnect my links, I'm assuming my brake lines and shocks will be fine, true?
You will be fine, probably even if you do disconnect.

5. Any thoughts on AMP Power Steps?
I don't think they offer much protection but they are cool, and pricey. A lot of people like ace sliders and they function as a step also, and look cool.

6. The 3.21 gear ratio will still be fine for flat land cruising and no technical offroading, true?
Yes, I have the same gears with 305/70/16's and don't have any complaints. I live in a hilly area and do some technical offroading.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same tires with 2.5 inches of lift. I don't think 2" will be too much. Just my opinion
Old 03-30-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: Advice on my build plan