Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on lift kit-

Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on lift kit-

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and would appreciate your thoughts on the following kit. My head is spinning from all of the threads I've read in ref to lifting your jeep and I am sorry to say I'm in need of some direction. I own a 2012 Wrangler Sport 2 door 4x4 with auto tranny and OEM flares. I would like to run 17" 35's. My ride is my commute with the occasional weekend light off-roading. I considered 2.5" lift but read I would have to swap or trim OEM flares, which I am not ready to do right now. Anyway, advice and or pointing me in the right direction would help a great deal. Thank you all in advance. :
Free Shipping on TeraFlex 3" JK Wrangler Lift Kit Suspensions!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Best advice is to find local Jeep owners and see what they are using. Also take a ride with various lifts to see what you like. Ride ya 100% subjective.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Have you opened the Thoughts On Lifts thread stuck to the top of this modifies area?

As you go higher you are more likely to want to add more components. So you could be saving the cost of flat flares at the added expense of a new driveshaft, or draglink flip, or something else you hadn't considered. Do a little more reading on all the issues that may come up as the coils get taller.

What specific components are you ordering? (when I clicked the link, it went to a picture of a $2500 kit, even though the price showed as $822 ...)
Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The_RickMan
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and would appreciate your thoughts on the following kit. My head is spinning from all of the threads I've read in ref to lifting your jeep and I am sorry to say I'm in need of some direction. I own a 2012 Wrangler Sport 2 door 4x4 with auto tranny and OEM flares. I would like to run 17" 35's. My ride is my commute with the occasional weekend light off-roading. I considered 2.5" lift but read I would have to swap or trim OEM flares, which I am not ready to do right now. Anyway, advice and or pointing me in the right direction would help a great deal. Thank you all in advance. : Free Shipping on TeraFlex 3" JK Wrangler Lift Kit Suspensions!
quick opinion. Do not go cheap. I have a zone/bds lift. Then added adjustable trac bar, adjustable lower front control arms, dual shock steering stabilizer. I am now in week 4 of chasing major ride problems. It drives like a hog and sucks.

I will be replacing the zone springs with synergy triple rate/progressive springs, adding rear upper adjustable control arms, rear adjustable trac bar, fox 2.0 ATS steer stabilizer. My adjustable arms are jspec by jks so they are very nice. My lift cost 1259 in all but it left so much to be desired.

This setup was design and creates by my local lift shop. They live next door to zone/bds/jks so that is all they use. I the parts are not bad they are just cheap. I got what I paid for. Now i have to go back redo it all myself. I have bds nitro shocks that so far are the only ok thing i have. And they are only $45 a piece to replace vs $150+ like fix etc.

Just a freaindly heads up.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The_RickMan
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and would appreciate your thoughts on the following kit. My head is spinning from all of the threads I've read in ref to lifting your jeep and I am sorry to say I'm in need of some direction. I own a 2012 Wrangler Sport 2 door 4x4 with auto tranny and OEM flares. I would like to run 17" 35's. My ride is my commute with the occasional weekend light off-roading. I considered 2.5" lift but read I would have to swap or trim OEM flares, which I am not ready to do right now. Anyway, advice and or pointing me in the right direction would help a great deal. Thank you all in advance. :
Free Shipping on TeraFlex 3" JK Wrangler Lift Kit Suspensions!
If you get a teraflex 2.5" spring lift, you can run 35s all day. If you do not rock crawl and disconnect and tuck wheels a lot you will be fine. Plus, the TF comes with bump stops to save your fenders. I would however run the TF sport control arms up front to get caster back in check....but their 2.5" spring lift, with fox shocks, and the sport control arms will give you what you need.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by busa250
quick opinion. Do not go cheap. I have a zone/bds lift. Then added adjustable trac bar, adjustable lower front control arms, dual shock steering stabilizer. I am now in week 4 of chasing major ride problems. It drives like a hog and sucks.

I will be replacing the zone springs with synergy triple rate/progressive springs, adding rear upper adjustable control arms, rear adjustable trac bar, fox 2.0 ATS steer stabilizer. My adjustable arms are jspec by jks so they are very nice. My lift cost 1259 in all but it left so much to be desired.

This setup was design and creates by my local lift shop. They live next door to zone/bds/jks so that is all they use. I the parts are not bad they are just cheap. I got what I paid for. Now i have to go back redo it all myself. I have bds nitro shocks that so far are the only ok thing i have. And they are only $45 a piece to replace vs $150+ like fix etc.

Just a freaindly heads up.
I would suspect that there are some other things going on besides the components you are using in terms of your ride quality and just replacing with more expensive items is unlikely to help. Do you have a build thread with photos of your set up? I would be glad to look at it and see if there are some other things that may have been overlooked. Going from a dual ss to the fox is not really going to gain you anything. Tires, shocks, and geometry tend to do more for ride quality then individual components.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would suspect that there are some other things going on besides the components you are using in terms of your ride quality and just replacing with more expensive items is unlikely to help. Do you have a build thread with photos of your set up? I would be glad to look at it and see if there are some other things that may have been overlooked. Going from a dual ss to the fox is not really going to gain you anything. Tires, shocks, and geometry tend to do more for ride quality then individual components.
I am sure its probably the zone springs. I have heard they ride like crap and are very stiff.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep is brand new. Rode perfect before the lift. I do have a caster issue that is being fixed on thursday. It is 6.4 and we are going to move it back to 4.5ish. I was running 40psi and went down to 29 and that helped a lot. The shocks are less stuff then fox 2.0s so they should not be the problem. I am going to change to synergy springs as i believe the zones to be a big problem. The steering stabilizer works fine it is just to stiff in my opinion. Going to the fox ATS lets you easily adjust the back pressure for what you are doing that day. There may be a bit of binding issue but i have been told by two shops they have released and re torqued the bolts to ensure no binding but incompetence is rampant in Indiana. I have now where to go to help me!! They are all just bolt on and go shops. No real knowledge. I am going to get my 4th alignment in 8 weeks after i install the new springs later this month. I do not know if the adjusted my trac bar correct let alone my arms. I also need to find a shop to check my driveline angles but no luck here. I am still pretty new to jeepin in my area and are just meeting people.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Most of the people I knew in Indiana have moved on to better places otherwise I would suggest you look into Facebook groups for local clubs that may be able to help you with info on your mods. Not sure where you are at in Indiana but badlands generally had a good amount of JKer's on any given weekend.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most of the people I knew in Indiana have moved on to better places otherwise I would suggest you look into Facebook groups for local clubs that may be able to help you with info on your mods. Not sure where you are at in Indiana but badlands generally had a good amount of JKer's on any given weekend.
i have kesse jeep farm nearby. It is just going to take wasted money to find a competent shop. Blah.

Quick Reply: Advice on lift kit-