Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on how to plan my build

Old 09-06-2024, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Yeah I didn't lift until I went to 37s, and even then only 2.5" (which netted me 3" or so). I think a great option to get started and to figure out what you really need is to just do flat or trimmed fenders, wheels with the right backspacing, and tires up to 35". This is a fully stock suspension with trimmed fenders and 35s:

Very capable with very little effort and expense.
That looks great! Flat fenders are another piece on my list. I know I could enjoy a setup similar to how yours was here, but I know I will want the lift. Necessary or not, since I got it, that was my plan for it. And I figured while I have the funds/time, I might as well get the lift and wheels together. Do as much work in one go as I can.

When you had your JK like this, did you have anything else done besides the 35s, fenders, and bumpers that I can see?
Old 09-06-2024, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TCampbell
That looks great! Flat fenders are another piece on my list. I know I could enjoy a setup similar to how yours was here, but I know I will want the lift. Necessary or not, since I got it, that was my plan for it. And I figured while I have the funds/time, I might as well get the lift and wheels together. Do as much work in one go as I can.

When you had your JK like this, did you have anything else done besides the 35s, fenders, and bumpers that I can see?
I started with just what you listed, plus a little trim on the rear pinch seams for rear tire clearance. With a full set of skids and the body mount ACE sliders I ran it that way with the big boys for a few years. I sleeved and gusseted the front 44 as a precaution at some point too. Then I got 37s and everything had to change.

Regarding your lift, I started with a Rock Krawler long arm and I was happy with it. I'm revising my suspension currently and I'm using a mix of parts, some RK, some Metalcloak, and some custom. I think Metalcloak is probably the brand most concerned with 'doing it right', and if I started today that's probably the way I'd go. That said, if you're interested in cutting off your entire stock suspension and doing an RK long arm, send me a PM because I have a full kit new in boxes that I need out of my garage

Quick Reply: Advice on how to plan my build