Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice getting a little more clearance..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Name of spacers for shocks? You mean shock extenders? Possibly Teraflex brand?

Bumpstops have a sole purpose... stopping the compression cycle of the suspension. Many factors need to be considered when measuring for the proper size bumpstops. For one (the most obvious to most people), you want to have them sized accordingly to keep your tires out of your fenders/body. I don't remember the exact number, but I think you need at least 3" bumpstops for 37's and stock fenders (I believe its a different size between front and rear). Search over some of planmans threads, I believe he can spit out the correct numbers in his sleep. But, you also have to take shock length into consideration as well as other components which could contact during compression cycle. You have to make sure your bumpstops hit before your shocks are fully compressed, otherwise your shock will essentially turn into the bumpstop.

The most fool proof way of knowing the proper length is to cycle the suspension and measure what you need. But there are many threads I have read that will give you very close numbers depending on tire size, fenders, shocks etc. The overall size of lift really does not have much to do with what size bumpstop you need.
thank you.

So if I had 3" for my 37's and stock fenders, how much would I need once I got flat fenders?

matthew
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3 inch lift and ACE flares with 37's and stock bump stops. No rub at full stuff.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3466432793.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	533577

Sent from my iPhone 4S using JK-Forum
Old 02-26-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich
I have a 3 inch lift and ACE flares with 37's and stock bump stops. No rub at full stuff.
Attachment 533577

Sent from my iPhone 4S using JK-Forum
Its also likely that you are bottoming out your shocks
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

That set up should rub on the frame and lower control arms when running off road. Something is preventting up travel if you are not rubbing, it it is not extended bump stops then it is likeley a longer body aftermarket shock as mentioned.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go with the teraflex extended bump stops and throw on 3/4" spacers too....

Quick Reply: Advice getting a little more clearance..