Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on fender flare & Grille Mod - Professional or DIY?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on fender flare & Grille Mod - Professional or DIY?

I have been thru a massive amount of reading on the mods that folks have done, and to keep it simple I'm just going to come out and ask.

Here is what I am looking to do:
Remove the front grille and Fender Flares to have them Rhinolined - I can have them done at the shop for $200.00 bucks. Turn around is a day, and all I have to do is remove them and drop them off. I also have a set of black Tube Steps that I'm also thinking to have them done as well. I have black textured front & rear bumpers on her, but I mistakingly ordered the wrong number on my steps, and they ended up being the powdercoat black.

The dealer said that it would be another $75.00 for the steps to be done.

So, for $275.00 would y'all go for the professional spray on, or is there a decent product that will hold up well on the PLASTIC Parts (and this is key,,,,I don't want it chipping and looking like crap in a short time - especially since it looks like it's gonna be a BEAR to take off the flares).

Now, either way, i'll be taking off the flares on my own, and need to know what clips and fasteners to have on hand for re-installation -- does anybody have specific numbers for the clips & fasteners that will be coming off of the flares and where the best place is for ordering them?

I'm working on a White '13 Sahara 2-D (in case for some strange reason the numbers may be different for the later years).

I know that it sounds like a silly question,,,,but with all of the folks doing all of there own mods, is it worth it to try this on my own or just hand them over to the Rhinoliner Dude and let them have at it?

If there is a DECENT product that will adhere to plastic like Rhinoliner, please by all means,,,speak up and be heard! I greatly appreciate ANY and ALL help that is offered up in this forum - you guys rock!

Thank you!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Plastidip and call it a day,. I just did and it cost me $20 for 4 cans. Ill post a picture soon, I honestly wouldn't recommend rhinoliner or any beeliner for the fenders because, correct me if I'm wrong, it will break when stress is applied to it. Such as bending the fender at all. As for the grill plastidip is removable serves its purpose as a protectant on the grill admits very easy to touch up.

Personally the ONLY rhino lining that will be I'm my JK is the interior since the carpet is removed. Hope this helps!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend plastidip for those parts unless you plan on touching it up every month or two. I admit the plastidip is awesome stuff and addictive but way too temporary for me. Especially on your grill or flares it will be peeling off pretty quick. I'm about to try the diy bed liner on my rockers, for the money it may be worth it to save $250 and spray them yourself. I've seen most people don't even remove their flares to do it! Just my 2 cents
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bedliner in a can is your friend, and looks great when done right. Easy to touch up too. I sandblasted and duplicolored my front bumper, and psc flares.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by engineeredjku
I wouldn't recommend plastidip for those parts unless you plan on touching it up every month or two. I admit the plastidip is awesome stuff and addictive but way too temporary for me. Especially on your grill or flares it will be peeling off pretty quick. I'm about to try the diy bed liner on my rockers, for the money it may be worth it to save $250 and spray them yourself. I've seen most people don't even remove their flares to do it! Just my 2 cents
Thanks -- my biggest question with this is which brand is the best and easiest to apply? What is the best way to prepare the plastic for best adhesion of the textured paint - most of the cans that I have read stated that they were for "bare Metal" i'm hesitant to put it on the flares with this sort of "warning". Is there a particular undercoat for primer that can be used? I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but with a new vehicle,,,you sort of don't want o jump into the "Mod Water", unless you are at least 90% sure of how it will react and last. It sort of comes with the territory of that huge price tag,,,and then taking things off to cover up factory paint! I'm really wanting the textured look and feel for the parts, so Plasti-dip is pretty much out for this mod.

Any help with the above questions is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

clipsandfasteners.com.

A20887 $8.92 box of 15
A11146 $2.97 box of 25

And another vote for a few cans of duplicolor. May not be as purty as a professional rhino-lining, but I like the cheap and easy touch-ups on the wheel wells, front bumper, rubi rails, hard top, where ever. (have not tried it on plastic flares though)

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a local Linex Dealer and dont look back. They can even color match to the color of your jeep with everything if you really wanted. Plus they most likely will not even remove your flares to spray them. Linex is near bullet proof very hard to scratch and looks awesome. Any type of other bed liner products are going to either be very soft or very brittle and may or may not warp your plastic fenders when sprayed. Before I would do anything at all to my fenders thou I would think if I wanted to even keep them in the first place.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dognights
Find a local Linex Dealer and dont look back. They can even color match to the color of your jeep with everything if you really wanted. Plus they most likely will not even remove your flares to spray them. Linex is near bullet proof very hard to scratch and looks awesome. Any type of other bed liner products are going to either be very soft or very brittle and may or may not warp your plastic fenders when sprayed. Before I would do anything at all to my fenders thou I would think if I wanted to even keep them in the first place.
Thanks! Yeah,,,I want to keep them,,,not a big off roader so they are not in the way so to speak,,,,I for one thought that it would be easier to just have it done via a drop off,,,and pick it up when it's finished -- for 250-275 it seems to worth the time for me NOT to have to kill myself or my husband in prep work,,,but this is precisely why I'm asking around -- Especially if anybody has already had it done, I'd love to see the finished product.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
clipsandfasteners.com.

A20887 $8.92 box of 15
A11146 $2.97 box of 25

And another vote for a few cans of duplicolor. May not be as purty as a professional rhino-lining, but I like the cheap and easy touch-ups on the wheel wells, front bumper, rubi rails, hard top, where ever. (have not tried it on plastic flares though)
THANK YOU for that info on the parts! Now is Duplicolor the same thing as bedliner? or is there a product BY Duplicolor that is bedliner? (God I feel like such an 'Arse,,,with these questions!)
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, just a bed liner in a spray can by DupliColor. Great for all of my black metal areas/products. Good for the nasty white inside of the hard top. So-so for the outside of the hard top (fading more on the outside of the top than on any of the metal, or maybe the top is just a lot bigger so it's more noticeable). No idea how it would hold up on a bendable plastic flare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	truckBed2.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	466769

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-10-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on fender flare & Grille Mod - Professional or DIY?