Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

advice or experience kayak hauling...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
It's the Wild Boar rack without a basket, just the frame. Pretty inexpensive, doesn't interfer with the removal of the top (soft or hard) and hauls kayaks without any other mods. I just use rachet straps over the kayaks and around the rails of the rack. It's very solid. I'm happy with it.
It is a great design, I checked out their site. But for the cost I could buy a used Cherokee to haul my kayaks
Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G DIESEL
It is a great design, I checked out their site. But for the cost I could buy a used Cherokee to haul my kayaks
You can get the basic rack without the tilting base for around $500. You can lower and raise the soft top without touching the rack. I thought about doing the same thing. I was going to mount a couple of Yakima bars with accessories and just add and remove those as needed. You do have to drill into the body for this rack though, which is a big deal to some and not so much to others. I thought about pairing a Rugged Ridge lightbar with the Bestop HighRock Overhead Rack but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

But in response to your original question, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to travel with the kayak attached to the rollbars - it's the same tie down concept. If you're going to be on the highway, I'd definitely use bow/stern tie downs since the kayak won't be sitting in a cradle-like attachment.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

I've hauled one on a TJ with no rack or anything just a foam block between the boat and the jeep with some ratchet straps to hold it around the sound bar and on to the front bumper to keep it from flying off the back. Ran well up to 60, but stayed slower most of the time just pushed it up a bit to test.

Haven't tried it on a JK but there isn't much difference.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Thumper616
You can get the basic rack without the tilting base for around $500. You can lower and raise the soft top without touching the rack. I thought about doing the same thing. I was going to mount a couple of Yakima bars with accessories and just add and remove those as needed. You do have to drill into the body for this rack though, which is a big deal to some and not so much to others. I thought about pairing a Rugged Ridge lightbar with the Bestop HighRock Overhead Rack but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

But in response to your original question, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to travel with the kayak attached to the rollbars - it's the same tie down concept. If you're going to be on the highway, I'd definitely use bow/stern tie downs since the kayak won't be sitting in a cradle-like attachment.

Yep, just the frame, no tilting rack. Cost me about $470.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

i use the t-bar hitch mounted one. strap it to the back, roll up a couple towels to place under it at the windshield and strap it across the top at the doors.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry two of my 9' single kayaks side by side with the top down. I use the foam blocks under each and then use tie-down straps. I run the straps around the driver side and passenger side rollbar and over the kayaks so that when seated in the Jeep you can see the straps in the cabin. This way you can feel them to make sure they have not come loose. I also strap them to the rear so they don't launch like a Cruise missile if I jam on the brakes.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G DIESEL
on a JK with no rack - roof off? Can you just strap it to the roll bars? I have a 4door, about to buy a large tamden kayak and the longest haul will be the 1 1/2hr drive back from the store to my house...

Thanks!
-G
No problems -

Click image for larger version

Name:	17034.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	63333
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
No problems -

Attachment 63333
thanks for the photo!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the input. I will try this and take pics!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Extend A Truck

Originally Posted by crcjk
Extend a truck makes a hitch mount goal post carrier that works great for the back. I am still working on a solution for the front, but any light bar would suffice. Lange products makes a windshield rack for the front but it is a real POS

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Does the Extend a Truck clear a spare tire mounted on the back?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: advice or experience kayak hauling...