Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

advice or experience kayak hauling...

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice or experience kayak hauling...

on a JK with no rack - roof off? Can you just strap it to the roll bars? I have a 4door, about to buy a large tamden kayak and the longest haul will be the 1 1/2hr drive back from the store to my house...

Thanks!
-G
Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: advice or experience kayak hauling...

Extend a truck makes a hitch mount goal post carrier that works great for the back. I am still working on a solution for the front, but any light bar would suffice. Lange products makes a windshield rack for the front but it is a real POS

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

You can strap it on the top, with padding or to the roll bar with the top off. I have switched to inflatable kayaks so I can keep mine in the JK when I'm heading out where there is water. Sets up in 15 minutes and easily handles class III rapids. They come in tandem's also.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crcjk
Extend a truck makes a hitch mount goal post carrier that works great for the back. I am still working on a solution for the front, but any light bar would suffice. Lange products makes a windshield rack for the front but it is a real POS

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, I had looked at some racks but don't want to limit my "topless" days and you are right many of them looked flimsy anyway. A year ago before I bought my JK I was on here and remember someone told me they hauled one just on the factory roll bars...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

I have hauled kayaks and canoes on my 4 door. It is windy and loud but very easy. I also had a tral=iler costom made to haul all my boats and camping gear
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	k2..jpg
Views:	126
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	63273   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1..jpg
Views:	109
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	63274  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kayak6
I have hauled kayaks and canoes on my 4 door. It is windy and loud but very easy. I also had a tral=iler costom made to haul all my boats and camping gear
Yeah I know it may be loud or have water running down on me that is fine. What is your technique/advice?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

This is what I have and I can still run topless tool

Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

nice looking ride Calypso. what rack is that?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by G DIESEL
nice looking ride Calypso. what rack is that?
It's the Wild Boar rack without a basket, just the frame. Pretty inexpensive, doesn't interfer with the removal of the top (soft or hard) and hauls kayaks without any other mods. I just use rachet straps over the kayaks and around the rails of the rack. It's very solid. I'm happy with it.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by G DIESEL
on a JK with no rack - roof off? Can you just strap it to the roll bars? I have a 4door, about to buy a large tamden kayak and the longest haul will be the 1 1/2hr drive back from the store to my house...

Thanks!
-G
I use a strap-down surfboard "rack" - they're just pads that can be strapped to the roof, and then the kayak straps onto them. When the top is off, I just slide the kayak into the back, but it's a whitewater kayak so it's smaller than your tandem.

Quick Reply: advice or experience kayak hauling...