Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advice on 5.13 w/ OX Lockers?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Advice on 5.13 w/ OX Lockers?

I have an 09 Sahara and want to install 5.13's and OX Lockers. What additional things do I need to take to my mechanic?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan for a good amount of time for the cable install and shifter install. It can be a pain. To get just the cable installed and adjusted properly, it was over 4 hours of tinkering.

The OX will also require occasional cable adjustment. It can be made at the shifter, but you are given a small amount of adjustment at the shifter. Once that is out of range, you need to pull the diff cover and adjust it there, bringing back the cable adjustment again.

Just curious, why are you drawn to the OX?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I won't speak for the OP, but IMO, I've always wanted an Ox 'cause I've heard that (as far as selectable lockers go) the Ox and ARB are the BEST. I've heard and seen people have trouble losing air lines on the ARB's and figure the cable would be a good solution for that problem.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

I'm pretty sure OX now has air activated lockers too now, as an option......
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

i've never seen OX (air) but i was hoping not to have to install any air machine in my rig...thought cables would be the way to go but unsure.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vincent
i've never seen OX (air) but i was hoping not to have to install any air machine in my rig...thought cables would be the way to go but unsure.
I now have an 08 Rubicon, but my last Jeep was the TJ that is now gone.

I decided to go with the OX on my TJ for the same reasons you mention. Several of the crew I wheel with have ARB, all of them love the ARB but there was a few instances when the ARB would leak and we would have engagement issues, all easily fixed. I have never seen an ARB break.

I chose the OX thinking "cable=manual, must be better". In the end, I did not like the OX for three reasons:

1. Difficulty setting up the cable. In my mind, I thought this would be easier than mounting the compressor and running air for the ARB. This turned out to be wrong, and was very frustrating to get tuned perfect. The shifter and cable take up a lot of room and require a good size hole to be drilled in the tub.

2. Very finiky. Once the cable was set, I would wheel the Jeep a couple times and the cable was out of adjustment again. A quick cable adjustment in the cab, a few tests to check engagement and we were back on the trail. When I went to sell the Jeep, I tried to engage the locker and it was out of adjustment again. This time, too far for the shifter adjuster and I had to pull the diff cover. After a while, every time I grabbed the shifter, I wondered "will it lock this time"?

3. Mine made a lot of noise. Engagement on soft dirt was never an issue and no noise in the softer or loose dirt. Engagement on pavement or MOAB rocks, it would engage, but it would often make VERY loud banging sounds on turns. I never found the "sweet spot" in the adjustment to make this go away.

In the end, The locker never left me stranded and it never broke, but after the install and a couple years use, I wished I had gone with the ARB.

I would suggest a poll on your locker options. See what experiences are out there. It may help you decide.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Yep...I just checked and they do have air OX lockers....either way....I'd like to get some lockers!!

http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/InternetSpe...9/Default.aspx
Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Thanks everyone for giving me your advice through experience. I will always enjoy the fact that I can always rely on you guys.

Have fun Jeepin'!

Quick Reply: Advice on 5.13 w/ OX Lockers?