Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advantages of Long Arm Lift Kit??

Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
The arms are typically stronger than the joints and axle brackets.

I had a TJ with an RE long arm like the one in the pic I posted. It was a 4.5" lift.

The long arms took a ton of abuse, but the bushings and flex joints didn't last as long as I would have wanted because I would use the arms to slide over ledges.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I see from your profile that you went with the OME HD springs and OME LT shocks. The guy I mentioned a couple pages back that had the comparison shots of his SA vs. his dads FT LA also went with OME springs and shocks. I'm assuming they have some really good travel in comparison to most options? I ask because most of these short arm kits don't come with shocks, so I am going to have to start doing some research there too.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
flex comes down to shock and coil length. Not short arm vs long arm
Flex is certainly more than coil length and shocks! Good articulation also relies on suspension components and geometry. Tractive effort requires tires to be in contact with the ground. Staying balanced with tractive effort is even better. This relies on proper instant centers, roll centers, and the lack of natural suspension bind. It is also situationally dependent!

We may be the only company that does not loose ground clearance by going to a long arm. Here are some images of our long arm systems installed and you can easily see that the cross over angles are not hurt at all. Of course, that did not come without compromise. We require a slight exhaust modification to allow this kind of ground clearance!

Either way, good luck with your builds.

Rock Krawler
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Flex is certainly more than coil length and shocks! Good articulation also relies on suspension components and geometry. Tractive effort requires tires to be in contact with the ground. Staying balanced with tractive effort is even better. This relies on proper instant centers, roll centers, and the lack of natural suspension bind. It is also situationally dependent!

We may be the only company that does not loose ground clearance by going to a long arm. Here are some images of our long arm systems installed and you can easily see that the cross over angles are not hurt at all. Of course, that did not come without compromise. We require a slight exhaust modification to allow this kind of ground clearance!

Rock Krawler
Which kits do the the two jeeps above have installed?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Former Member

Rock Krawler
That was not the point. If a short arm lift is running 30" shocks and the long arm is running 27" shocks the short arm will appear to have more flex.

The comment had nothing to do with the articulation being good or bad.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I went and dug up the thread I was referring to. It is actually a Teraflex 4" Long Arm vs a 3" OME:
Teraflex 4" LA vs. 3" OME LT
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor

I guess we must have misread this. Sorry.

"flex comes down to shock and coil length. Not short arm vs long arm"

Springs and shocks do also play a role if that makes you feel good.

RK
Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess we must have misread this. Sorry.

"flex comes down to shock and coil length. Not short arm vs long arm"

Springs and shocks do also play a role if that makes you feel good.

RK
Is that black jeep above the 3.5" X Factor LA System? What about the white jeep?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor

Those are both 5.5" X Factor Long Arms with 37's and full fenders...

RK

Quick Reply: Advantages of Long Arm Lift Kit??