Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Advantages And Disadvantages 15" & 17"

Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages And Disadvantages 15" & 17"

Ok, so heres where I am at

Looking to finally upgrade my tires...I am going the 33r route, Mainly because from what i have read is the biggest you can go without having to regear the jeep

I am not looking to put a lift on it anytime soon ... I basically would like to know what are the + and - of having 15" or 17 " with 33s

I currently have a 2010 JK with stock 17"...Looking for input from those that currently have this setup or are familiar with it

Thank You In advance

alfy
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Most 37" tires are made for 17" wheels. If you are sure you will never go bigger than 33", 15" wheels will save you some coin when tire shopping.

I was sure I would never go bigger than 33". I was wrong, I have less money because I bought wheels twice.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a nutshell:

15"
rims cheaper
tires usually cheaper
generally more compliant ride (more sidewall)

17"
tires sometimes cheaper (due to production volume)
slightly better handling and more chassis control
room for some brake upgrades
better brake cooling
Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Perhaps others with direct experience will chip in but judging from I have read some feel an advantage of the 17's over the 15's lies in the amount of sidewall. 15's with a 33" tire will have more sidewall than a 17 with 33's. The reduced amount of sidewall with the 17's helps minimize sidewall flex on the road, giving a more stable on road experience than that with the 15's. That is what I have read. Me, it looks like I am going to drop down from 17" stock to 16" and mount 305/70R16'" D BFG Mud Terrains.

Just my two centavos
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

I have 33s with the stock 17s and they work fine. No spacers, no lift.

You will have a larger choice of aftermarket wheels and tires to fit 15" and 16" rims and they will be cheaper.
With 17s the sidewall is smaller and will be less likely to roll the bead when aired down and since you already have them all you have to do is by the tires.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

thanks for the response guys

an of course the main reason for considering 17 is because i dont have to worry about buying rims

I am thinking about the pro Comp 7069 MT... I love the agressive tread on them

anyone have any feedback on these?

I will be doing alot of highway driving, so noise will be a factor

Alfy
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

ProComp 7069 is a rim, not a tire.

As for MT, the regular MT or the Xtreme MT? Definately don't go with the regular MT. The XMT is a good tire, with better wear and noise than the MT. However, I'd go with the Xtreme AT if 99% of your driving will be onroad, and if your offroading will be more dry than wet. That's what I'm running and I'm very happy with them.

You'll be happy with either the XMT or XAT. I used to sell them at 4WP and didn't have any complaints about either. They're "next gen" tires with both on and offroad capability.

BTW, the XATs will be better onroad in the wet, the XMTs better offroad in the wet.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Alec
ProComp 7069 is a rim, not a tire.

As for MT, the regular MT or the Xtreme MT? Definately don't go with the regular MT. The XMT is a good tire, with better wear and noise than the MT. However, I'd go with the Xtreme AT if 99% of your driving will be onroad, and if your offroading will be more dry than wet. That's what I'm running and I'm very happy with them.

You'll be happy with either the XMT or XAT. I used to sell them at 4WP and didn't have any complaints about either. They're "next gen" tires with both on and offroad capability.

BTW, the XATs will be better onroad in the wet, the XMTs better offroad in the wet.
Serves me right for being a newb...I saw them posted in the for sale section and didnt relize it was the rims

So what would be best All around...I get Snow / Rain seasonally and would like to able the ability to offroad as well

XAT's?

Alfy
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Yup, that's what I would do (and did)
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Kool

Now with the 33s how much clearance am I gonna get with my sport? Will I have to worry about the tires hitting the inside walls of the fenders when offroading ?

Alfy

Quick Reply: Advantages And Disadvantages 15" & 17"