Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustced pinion angle with adjustable rear upper control arms -- RUBBING NOISE?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustced pinion angle with adjustable rear upper control arms -- RUBBING NOISE?

With some great help, I corrected my rear driveshaft/axle housing pinion angle after having lifted my 2dr JK about 3.5 inches. It drives great down the road. No obscure noises or crabbing or any of those sorts; however, only when pulling out of my driveway I get a brief and noticeable "rubbing" noise.

My driveway has the hump before the street's asphalt. Anyway, since adjusting the angle of my rear axle housing, my rear springs are bowed and my stock rear sway bar links are shifted forward quite a bit. I don't know if anything is coming into contact with anything, but I am assuming something has to be considering the "rubbing" noise. I just don't know what it is...

Any tips and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
With some great help, I corrected my rear driveshaft/axle housing pinion angle after having lifted my 2dr JK about 3.5 inches. It drives great down the road. No obscure noises or crabbing or any of those sorts; however, only when pulling out of my driveway I get a brief and noticeable "rubbing" noise.

My driveway has the hump before the street's asphalt. Anyway, since adjusting the angle of my rear axle housing, my rear springs are bowed and my stock rear sway bar links are shifted forward quite a bit. I don't know if anything is coming into contact with anything, but I am assuming something has to be considering the "rubbing" noise. I just don't know what it is...

Do you have larger tires on the stock rims? Might be rubbing the rear sway bar link if you do not have the proper back spacing.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR

being that you have a 2-door, your rear coils should be bowing quite a bit and, if i could guess, the passenger side coil is probably making contact with your rear track bar. give it a close look and i'd bet you'd see a rub mark on it and your track bar.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

when my springs bowed it came into contact with the rear trac-bar. So I called david at northridge4x4 and got some rockkrawler wedges which go under the spring and straightened it right out. I also got jks spring retainer plates at the same time. No more noises or contact.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOL guess you beat me to it.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I was thinking that too -- the coils rubbing against the trackbar. Just checked and the passenger side is definitely close to the trackbar, I'd say about no more than 3/4" inch or so when the JK is sitting on flat ground. I didn't find any noticeable rub markings but then again this just started a couple days ago. Unless anyone else has other suggestions I will probably pull the trigger right now on those wedges; regardless, they're probably a smart investment; cheap too.

Thanks! And again, if anyone has other suggestions, I'm open ears.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jksteve89
when my springs bowed it came into contact with the rear trac-bar. So I called david at northridge4x4 and got some rockkrawler wedges which go under the spring and straightened it right out. I also got jks spring retainer plates at the same time. No more noises or contact.
Any issues since installing the wedges and retainers?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump, I'm curious if the wedges fixed the problem. My springs are bowing too...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I cut my factory coil spring mounts off the axle and installed the JKS adjustable mounts. Work great and nice straight springs now. Highly recommended over the wedges.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
I cut my factory coil spring mounts off the axle and installed the JKS adjustable mounts. Work great and nice straight springs now. Highly recommended over the wedges.
Cool. Thanks. I'll have to look into these.

Quick Reply: adjustced pinion angle with adjustable rear upper control arms -- RUBBING NOISE?