Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustable vs. fixed control arms. what your take?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adjustable is the best way to go. The best thing to do is replace all 8 arms as it allows you to really set up your rig correctly. The bare minimum we would do is the front lowers. The front lowers will allow you to adjust your caster settings. They are stronger so you can abuse your rig a little more than normal. Some companies even offer lifetime warranties.

The front uppers will allow you do adjust your front pinion angle however a happy medium is needed between your pinion angle and caster settings. Especially if you do not plan on cutting your mounts off and welding in the correct location for the perfect set up.

The rear uppers are needed for correcting your rear pinion angles. Some people say this is the next best option but it will still leave you with the weak rear lower arms which can see plenty of contact with rocks if you wheel hard.

Rock Krawler for instance makes a set of rear upper and lower arms that will push the rear wheels back up to 1". This helps keep you away from the pinch seam so trimming isn't needed.

PM us if you want a quote on anything.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Save your money and go for the adjustables. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a question. I have a 3" lift and have lower teraflex adjustables ready to put on. The pinion angle is already looking rough. Should I get uppers too? If I install uppers and lowers will I need a new driveshaft?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry its on a 2012 JKU
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKred
In the front, you either need to lengthen the lower control arm or shorten the upper to regain factory caster angles after lifitng. Lengthening the lower is more beneficial for 2 reasons. 1, it pushes the axle/tire SLIGHTLY away from the front pinch seam, where as the upper will pulls it closer, losing a very small amounf of wheelbase. 2, they are much simpler to install. The front passenger upper bolt is not removable without cutting the bolt.

In the rear, its the opposite. The rear axle needs to be rolled back by lengthening the upper or shortening the lower to line the pinon angle up with the drive shaft. Shortening the lower pulls the tire into the rear pinch seam slightly. Lengthening the upper centers the axle slightly better.
Thanks for the great explanation.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apexeater

Thanks for the great explanation.
X2 thank you ill defffinently be going rear uppers and front lowers

Quick Reply: adjustable vs. fixed control arms. what your take?