Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustable vs. fixed control arms. what your take?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable vs. fixed control arms. what your take?

im headed towards the rock krawler 2.5 mod system from northiridge. definently wanna get front lowers and maybe rear lowers? whats your guys 2 cents on either fixed or adjustable control arms. ill be upgrading to 35's and i do a decent amount of highway driving on my 12' rubicon. i off road at a medium level and do go mudding as much as possible.

thanks in advance nick

Last edited by BIGNICK; 03-28-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I personally would go with the adjustables as they allow you fine tune your caster for better handling. Some people go with the fixed length and seem perfectly happy with performance. If you are ever going to go higher on your lift however, then your fixed length are not going to help you whereas adj. would. Just a thought....
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Firelyle
I personally would go with the adjustables as they allow you fine tune your caster for better handling. Some people go with the fixed length and seem perfectly happy with performance. If you are ever going to go higher on your lift however, then your fixed length are not going to help you whereas adj. would. Just a thought....
X2,,,, if you spend a little extra you will have the adjustability to align everything correctly , and adapt for future mods,,,, we all know they are coming!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Fixed are cheaper, but adjustables are worth the extra price. And if you do rear ca's, consider uppers instead of lowers.

(upper or lower will work for either end, but front lowers and rear uppers are generally considered to be the better choices if you only do one set)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
fixed are cheaper, but adjustables are worth the extra price. And if you do rear ca's, consider uppers instead of lowers.

(upper or lower will work for either end, but front lowers and rear uppers are generally considered to be the better choices if you only do one set)
ive seen a few threads that recommend that, to do front lowers and rear uppers ca's. Can you go into that little bit more. Why? I couldnt come up with much

thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes adjustable
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BIGNICK
ive seen a few threads that recommend that, to do front lowers and rear uppers ca's. Can you go into that little bit more. Why? I couldnt come up with much

thanks
In the front, you either need to lengthen the lower control arm or shorten the upper to regain factory caster angles after lifitng. Lengthening the lower is more beneficial for 2 reasons. 1, it pushes the axle/tire SLIGHTLY away from the front pinch seam, where as the upper will pulls it closer, losing a very small amounf of wheelbase. 2, they are much simpler to install. The front passenger upper bolt is not removable without cutting the bolt.

In the rear, its the opposite. The rear axle needs to be rolled back by lengthening the upper or shortening the lower to line the pinon angle up with the drive shaft. Shortening the lower pulls the tire into the rear pinch seam slightly. Lengthening the upper centers the axle slightly better.

Last edited by JKred; 03-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to go is adjustable I think... You know you will go bigger one day
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pro fixed: Cheap (assuming we're talking stock arms), light weight, perfect alignment with Geometry Correction Brackets.

Con fixed: Can't adjust if needed, camber will be wrong without correction brackets, not as much flex, not as strong, some ground clearance is lost if brackets are used.

Pro adjustable: They are, well, adjustable. More flex, stronger, better ground clearance.

Con adjustable: Steering works real nice with dropped CA mounts when using the bracket, more weight, more cost, need a way to measure castor.

Edit: Talking just fronts here. Adjustables are needed in the back for sure.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adjustable...spend a little more upfront and be happier in the long run.

Quick Reply: adjustable vs. fixed control arms. what your take?