Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable track bar w/ drag link flip

Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
The drop pitman arm is a bandaid over a gunshot.....bad idea. It puts undue stress on the sector shaft. Properly setup steering geometry in the front is a MUCH better way to go.
Yeah that's what I heard. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dampening

Originally Posted by ColeRedRubi
Thanks for the info. My main complaint about my steering is the play in the wheel. I can move the steering wheel 3 to 4 inches and experience no turning. I'm hoping the flip would help that abd make it a little less flighty on the fwy.
I hear you on the flighty feel. Had that too. Not sure if it was as significant as yours. Mine just felt loose. Jeep held the road (after geometry fix), but the bigger the tires, the more it felt loose.

The answer for me was a Fox ATS steering stabilizer. It's adjustable and I crank it up almost to the tightest setting. It made a huge difference... but may not be your issue, if the steering does not engage for 3-4". Even when you get the Jeep running solid, the Fox is incredible for tightening up the flighty feel. And I totally get that it's not needed. I always remove the SS when I do work on the front end to see if there are any issues the SS may be covering up. But I put it on for the adjustable dampening feature. Made a huge difference and I have run 2 other types in the past.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. My main complaint about my steering is the play in the wheel. I can move the steering wheel 3 to 4 inches and experience no turning. I'm hoping the flip would help that abd make it a little less flighty on the fwy.
I had this issue also, turned out my pitman arm was loose. Check to see if the nut is tight
Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

You might not need a adjustable track bar because the angle is returned closer to stock raised. If you do make sure the track bar can adjust to stock or less.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you need both or will just one suffice? I have an adjustable track bar but no drag link flip. The drag link and track bar are parallel to each other but not parallel to the axle. I have about 4 inches of lift.
When you do a drag link flip you will need to relocate the axle mounting point for the track bar higher to keep the angles of both the same. The adjustability will only effect the centering of the axle. At your lift height its not a bad idea to do a drag link flip because it will take some stress off of your steering box and you run less risk of putting your TRE's into bind when flexing.

RK
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

I'll add.... The rear TB should be raised as well if running a high steer w/ raised TB in the front. Most kits raise the rear TB at the axle. Some lower which does 0 for roll center.
Raising the front TB without raising the rear will cause some funky handling.

Ideally you want the heights to match or the rear higher.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

If you put a drag link flip kit on with an adjustable track bar with the raised track bar bracket at the axle. Do I need to take off my drop pitman arm and put the stock one back on or what. Right now the way it looks the drag link sits lower on the pitman arm side and sits higher up at the knuckle
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TNcole
If you put a drag link flip kit on with an adjustable track bar with the raised track bar bracket at the axle. Do I need to take off my drop pitman arm and put the stock one back on or what. Right now the way it looks the drag link sits lower on the pitman arm side and sits higher up at the knuckle
Yes, remove the drop pitman. ('and' the trackbar bracket that came with it, if that is still installed). They worked together to keep the trackbar and draglink parallel, while also lessening the steeper angles from the lift.

Moving to a drag link flip, the axle end of the draglink is raised to the top of the knuckle, and the axle end of the trackbar will be raised with a different trackbar bracket to keep them parallel.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

A sector shaft brace may also help with some of the steering woes in this thread in conjunction with raising the axle side track bar mount and flipping the drag link. I have the synergy one but other manufactures also make them.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

not to highjack but i have a 6" lift and am putting a front rubi axle on my jk. wondering if you guess know a track bar relocation brake and drag link flip good for 6". all I've found so far are ones for up to 4"

Quick Reply: Adjustable track bar w/ drag link flip