Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable spring mount??

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable spring mount??

Does anybody make an adjustable spring mount for the rear axle?

Something that could be adjusted or rotated based on pinion angle?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

No... that would be extremely unsafe... thats why the make adjustable control arms
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think you understand.

When you adjust your rear upper control arms for correct pinion angle the diff tips backwards causing the spring mounts to tip as well.

So now the springs don't sit flat on the mounts and have a slight bend because of the pinion angle.

Has anybody rewelded the mounts after adjusting upper arms?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I understand what you are saying but to make a mount that you can move just would not work... people do move and re weld the mounts to where you need them
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fighting a similar problem. My rear coil is rotated a little and I got longer shocks and down travel that is greater than the height of the spring. So at full droop the coil falls loose from the upper mount, and then doesnt re-seat itself properly when re-compressed. Anyway, if the axle was rolled over so the bottom coil mount was perpendicular, it wouldnt likely be as big of a problem. Instead, I am going to weld in adj bump stops to the inside of the springs like the front is. Or, added a bucket to the top to guide the coil back in, like the TJ's rear.

Now, THAT being said, I personally havent heard of anybody that has relocated the lower shock mount... but I bet it can be done very easily. If you are dead sure that your pinion is perfect and your control arms are perfectly adjusted and your axle is exactly where it should be sitting (rotation-wise) then I say go for it. A good welder can make the new joint at LEAST as strong as the factory worker that welds it at Daimler Chrylser.

Small print: Of course, this is just my opinion and I take absolutely no responsibility for any negative repercussions from such a modification...

Last edited by RubiJK; 08-06-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Is this what you are asking for?

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...de=Coil_Spring
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor

You have a few options,

You can cut your stock lower spring mounts and rotate them or you you can buy The Currie lower spring mount and weld them in the correct location.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...6.aspx?id=3126

You can also add a set of rear spring retainers to keep the spring from coming out.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...9.aspx?id=2852

I would recommend to not relocate your bump stop inside the coil. You will end up with a bent rear axle housing.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webekd
those are very nice
Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
You have a few options,

You can cut your stock lower spring mounts and rotate them or you you can buy The Currie lower spring mount and weld them in the correct location.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...6.aspx?id=3126

You can also add a set of rear spring retainers to keep the spring from coming out.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...9.aspx?id=2852

I would recommend to not relocate your bump stop inside the coil. You will end up with a bent rear axle housing.
Thanks David. I was looking at those parts of yours. I am trying to find a solution without having to limit the down travel. I would think locking the coils into place would only allow as much droop as the spring is when fully extended. Also, can you explain why putting in rear adj bump stops inside the springs (like the Rock Krawler part) could bend the rear axle housing?

Thanks... and sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am guessing that putting the bump stop inside the coil might make it hit the coil under full articulation.... if you just weld in some tabs around the outside of your coils this will fix your problem of falling out and rotation... By the way what setup are you running? Lift? Spacers?

Quick Reply: Adjustable spring mount??