Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable rear upper control arms?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable rear upper control arms?

Does anybody know of a manufacture that has adjustable upper control arms in the long arm variety? I have the fabtech kit but it only has adjustable lowers and I would really like to push my rear axle back about 1/2"-1" to center my 37's in my rear wheel well. Have minor trimming done but nothing to extensive. Anything is helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teraflex makes em.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You use adj lowers to push your axle back, the uppers are used to correct your pinion angle.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You use adj lowers to push your axle back, the uppers are used to correct your pinion angle.
I had a 3" (more like 3.5" until I loaded my JKU down with stuff) installed one year ago. I don't think any changes were made to the pinion angle for the rear DS, and I don't have adjustable control arms back there. Is it possible to adjust pinion angle with the stock control arms? Should I be worried about the pinion angle? I don't think I have had any ill effects. If this qualifies as a thread hijack, I apologize.

-Dawn
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But by pushing my lowers further back wouldnt that drop my pinion angle since the upper links are remaining stationary? I thought that I would have to adjust both upper and lower links to acheive moving the axle aft and maintaining proper pinion angle. And as far as adjusting pinion angle with stock arms I believe that you need to use cam bolts for such adjustments.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

To regain lost wheelbase you need adj rear lowers, along with that you need adj uppers to set your pinion angle correctly. Now, if you were just setting pinion angle and not worried about wheelbase you could use just uppers.but I would not use adj lowers only cause that in effect will drop your pinion angle down. If you have a 4dr and stock driveshaft you might be ok cause the stock ds is a bit more tolerable of angles, but that in itself will cause the joints to wear quicker. You really need both for the rear if you want the wheelbase back.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'd also like to add that I don't know of any one using cambolts for the rear of a jk. Some cheaper tj kits use this method but are specific to that given kit.And may or may not use a transfer case drop kit with it. This is something not applicable to the jk.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnBelay
I had a 3" (more like 3.5" until I loaded my JKU down with stuff) installed one year ago. I don't think any changes were made to the pinion angle for the rear DS, and I don't have adjustable control arms back there. Is it possible to adjust pinion angle with the stock control arms? Should I be worried about the pinion angle? I don't think I have had any ill effects. If this qualifies as a thread hijack, I apologize.

-Dawn
can't adjust pinion angles without the ability to adjust.

if it works without problems i dont think i would be worried.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At a minimum you'd want front lowers and rear uppers.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You could convert to our independent 3 link in the rear and use our upgrade with the long lowers you have and be good to go if that is something that interests you?

Here is a link to it.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=157

Rock Krawler

Quick Reply: Adjustable rear upper control arms?