Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable LCA for Caster Adjustment

Old 04-22-2021, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adjustable LCA for Caster Adjustment

Hey everyone!

I want to take care of a slight rightward drift I have on my lifted 2012 JKU. I've already installed geo correction brackets, but would like to increase the caster on the passenger side to compensate a little bit. It looks like the way to do that is with adjustable lower control arms.
Is there a brand you recommend? I'd prefer a style that allows me to adjust while the LCA is installed on the Jeep instead of having to pull it off every time. For those of you who have done it, do you have any tips on adding a small a degree or two of caster? I'm assuming adjustments will be in the 1/16s of an inch.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Simple question first, you don't have some gas-charged steering stabilizer in place do you, and if so, is it mounted in an orientation that it's expanding to the passenger side?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Simple question first, you don't have some gas-charged steering stabilizer in place do you, and if so, is it mounted in an orientation that it's expanding to the passenger side?
I did recently install a factory-off lightly used JL steering stabilizer to replace my old stock JK one. It's installed in the same orientation as the old one, with the "plastic shield" end attached the axle and the other end attached to the tie rod. I mostly got it to help absorb on some bump steer I was getting, but it drifted right with the old stabilizer too.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yes, that SS is fine. Some folks will install a gas-charged SS and not think about the force at which those are always trying to expand, and they can cause a veer towards the direction they are expanding. Just double-checking that was not the case here. Synergy makes control arms that are adjustable while installed, and you pay a nice premium for that feature. They are ~$425 for the two lowers. The whole "while installed" thing is kinda silly to me as it's not hard to drop on end of the arm and make a rotation or so as needed. That said, if you are down to making tiny incremental changes, that feature can work in your favor I guess. Obviously, with other arms you're limited to 1/2 rotation increments.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth paying an extra couple hundred bucks for the convenience of not having to remove and retorque the bolts to make gradual tweaks. My thought is, since I've already got the rest of my suspension dialed in with a recent alignment and print out, I can get away with making small adjustments to the passenger side LCA. Is that something other guys have done? I know how many degrees it's at, and if I can do it myself without having to bring it back in to realign, that'd be great.

I was torn between the Synergy and the Teraflex. Although the Teraflex is a good deal cheaper, it's a question of whether the overall quality (US vs China made) is worth the cost difference of about $120.

Last edited by mphilleo; 04-22-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

The diff is a solid unit from left side to right side so the caster on both sides is common and not adjustable individually from side to side. All you can do is adjust caster taking into account both sides together. It is quite common to have manufacturing errors cause caster on one side to be slightly different from the other side. So your desire to adjust one side is not possible for more than a fraction of a degree.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
The diff is a solid unit from left side to right side so the caster on both sides is common and not adjustable individually from side to side. All you can do is adjust caster taking into account both sides together. It is quite common to have manufacturing errors cause caster on one side to be slightly different from the other side. So your desire to adjust one side is not possible for more than a fraction of a degree.
Thanks for the reply. On my print out, it shows my left side at 4 and 7/8°, and my right side at 5° and the top of the OE specifications as 5 and 1/4 °. I've read that Jeep built in some positive caster on the passenger side to help with right hand drift, but apparently this isn't quite enough to help, even with just my geo correction brackets. I'm hoping if I can add another 1/4° caster, that might do the trick on eliminating some of the drift.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
So your desire to adjust one side is not possible for more than a fraction of a degree.
Y, I'd agree with this, though that fraction of a degree is the difference sometimes. It's hard to justify the cost of lower arms to do this.....Maybe instead just need to install one of those gas-charged SS's so the two forces counter each other! j/k
The following users liked this post:
mphilleo (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You can correct caster on one side by using an offset ball joint. I would not worry about a .25 degree difference in the sides. Its likely the crown in the road puhing the jeep to the right. Does it drift on all road surfaces? Best way to compensate for drift right drift would be to use ajustable control arms and push the right side of the axle slighly forward.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Y, I'd agree with this, though that fraction of a degree is the difference sometimes. It's hard to justify the cost of lower arms to do this.....Maybe instead just need to install one of those gas-charged SS's so the two forces counter each other! j/k
I think crazier things have been tried before! Is it a dumb idea if it works?

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can correct caster on one side by using an offset ball joint. I would not worry about a .25 degree difference in the sides. Its likely the crown in the road puhing the jeep to the right. Does it drift on all road surfaces? Best way to compensate for drift right drift would be to use ajustable control arms and push the right side of the axle slighly forward.
You know, the alignment shop did mention that as well. I think offset or adjustable BJs are a little more coin, but that would probably do the trick. I don't think they're too much different in cost versus adjustable control arms, right? Is there an advantage or disadvantage going one route or the other if they're similar cost? I suppose any money saved on the parts would be made up on labor costs on install.

I did take it for an extensive test the other day and found that in the opposite lane (of an empty road) it pulled to the left. I think it's just getting manipulated by the crown in the road. I was just hoping to take some of that "edge" off.

Quick Reply: Adjustable LCA for Caster Adjustment