Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable front track bar or control arms

Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable front track bar or control arms

I have a 3" lift(just shocks and springs) and having esp and alignment issues. I've read some threads on these issues but not sure what i need first. Some say adjustable front track bar others say lower control arms. From what ive read it looks like the adjustable lower control arms will do the job. I also need to replace the front track bar bracket because it cracked when i was wheeln a few weeks ago.

1-Do i need a adjustable track bar or lower control arms?
2-If i get the adjustable track bar do i need the relocation bracket or just a standard one?

Last edited by sshifflett; 08-01-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sshifflett
I have a 3" lift(just shocks and springs) and having esp and alignment issues. I've read some threads on these issues but not sure what i need first. Some say adjustable front track bar others say lower control arms. From what ive read it looks like the adjustable lower control arms will do the job. I also need to replace the front track bar bracket because it cracked when i was wheeln a few weeks ago.

1-Do i need a adjustable track bar or lower control arms?
2-If i get the adjustable track bar do i need the relocation bracket or just a standard one?
I would go with an adjustable front track bar w/o bracket. You might also want to pick up a rear track bar relocation bracket for your OEM track bar. This will align your axles properly. Lower control arms will tighten up the steering at higher speeds.

Make sure you adjust your steering wheel, if you haven't. That will cause ESP issues..

Old 08-01-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Already installed the rear relo bracket. Broke the stock one the first trip out wheeln. So go with the adj track bar first then get the control arms later?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are saying your esp goes off because your steering wheel is not centered you can center your steering wheel in a few minutes. You don't need an adjustable track bar nor do you need lower control arms.

With your lift I assume you lowered the mounting point of the rear track bar?? So the rear axle is OK?

I have an adjustable front tb on a 3 inch lift but I purposefully keep the front axle about a half inch over to the left. I have a skid row oil tranny pan and have really flexed the jeep but never tore the boot on the front ds.

If you get lower control arms you will further increase the angle of the ds to the transfer case. If you can live with the caster set where it is I'd leave it. I have thought about getting the ball joints that let you add caster to the wheels without making the pinion angle change relative to the transfer case.

Much of anything over 3 inches and then the adjustable control arms are a good idea.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, you'll prolly need both to completely fix your issues, but I'd go with the trackbar first. That provided you've eliminated the possibility of sterring wheel being off-center as pylot said

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-01-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjustable front track bar or control arms