Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable front track Bar or Bracket ? + Drag Link

Old 01-09-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlos
ok, another precision please...! What are the benefits or advantages to use front TB bracket + flip drag link instead of only use a adjustable TB ? Just trying to see where's the need of using TB bracket + DL flip instead of only use a TB adjustable... and result are the same... Is it because at more than a certain lenght of lift even if we use an adjustable TB we aren't able to bring back both piece in parallel ?
Ok if you use a draglink flip with tb bracket then it allows you to use stock track bar, corrects steering geometry (recentering axle and making draglink and tb parallel), and help eliminate bump steer. It's mainly recommended for lifts 3" or more. However some people will say it's not necessary with 3" and would recommend them more starting with a 3.5" or 4". I think the higher you go then you could potentially use an adjustable trackbar also to fine tune. Wanna say the min recommended front bumpstop with a flip kit is 3" though.

Using just the trackbar basically allows you to recenter axle. It's nice for 2.5" kits and more however I'm running a stock on my 2.5" lift and can tell no difference from when I ran my teraflex adjustable one.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Ok if you use a draglink flip with tb bracket then it allows you to use stock track bar, corrects steering geometry (recentering axle and making draglink and tb parallel), and help eliminate bump steer. It's mainly recommended for lifts 3" or more. However some people will say it's not necessary with 3" and would recommend them more starting with a 3.5" or 4". I think the higher you go then you could potentially use an adjustable trackbar also to fine tune. Wanna say the min recommended front bumpstop with a flip kit is 3" though.

Using just the trackbar basically allows you to recenter axle. It's nice for 2.5" kits and more however I'm running a stock on my 2.5" lift and can tell no difference from when I ran my teraflex adjustable one.

I have a cheap lift, and my 3" is more like a 2-2.5" I also added a bumper and winch so I'll add 1" coils spacer at 4 corners to raise it little. So far, my TB is the stock one and of drag link also.
So as I said, at front, I'm still stock on track bar and drag link, my lenght of lift doesn't maybe required or justify the use of flip drag link with track bar bracket, because my trackbar and drag link are almost parallel, as picture below
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	522521

So If I had a 1" coils spacer maybe I don't even need to upgrage those pieces because my 4" would be infact more a 3".... But when I gonna replace coil with a real good suspension lift as Teraflex example...I guess at a realy 4"or 5" lift I would need to flip drag link and raise track bar.....we'll see !

With coils spacer added, if I feel something bad on steering I guess I could upgrade my stock track bar to an adjustable one. Also, at same time I'll had coils spacer I'll install my new steering damper I just bought from you with a bracket to flip damper over the tie rod.

What do you think ?!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Also need to take in account tire/wheel size and weight. We lift to fit bigger tires, bigger tires equals more stress on front end components. Thus many people with large tires going aftermarket track bar for the added strength + adjustability.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright if it were me I would roll with what you have. Save the money for some good coils at whatever height you want. If you want 3" I would suggest synergy. Progressive rate both front and rear and they will settle at 3" loaded down with bumpers and stuff. They are designed to hold weight well. With these I would probably recommend the synergy drag link flip kit.

Or I would consider the new RK 2.5" triple rate springs with front adjustable trackbar.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Others questions here ! Just trying to correctly undertstand and be sure !!!

In which case or scenarios the adjustable track bar are not enough alone to give the correct steering geometry ?

Is it because at around 4.5" lift or more, drag link need to be flip because end connection have to much stress and are in no more in line....so to fix it you need to flip the drag link ip , and with the drag link fliped we loss the parallele with the track bar, so we need to raise track bar on bracket to fix this issue.

So, we could say that from 2" to 4" lift it's like 2 possible solution:
1- we could use only an adjustable track bar to correct steering geometry.
2- If we don't want to buy an adjs. TB and keep the stock one, we use relocation track bar to raise TB , but this action brings the need to use a drag link flip. relocation bracket TB = need to flip drag link, no choice.

At 4.5" and more, seems to have almost 1 solution :
1- Need to flip drag link, so need to use bracket TB relocation with or without stock track bar to get back parallel between TB and DL.

Do I'm correct in my way to think ?? if not, please explain to me !

I guess at 4.5" and more with 35-37".. tire, should be uncommon to keep stock track bar... is that the case ?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You do a drag link flip if you are experiencing noticeable bump steer. Like others have stated you will loose up travel (read this suspension travel or less flex) because you need to run longer bump stops to prevent the drag link from hitting the frame. You can also cut a notch in the frame to retain your suspension travel. The other benefit from running a drag link flip is that it raises your front roll center making your jeep more stable both off road and on road with less body roll. Please note that you should raise the rear track bar bracket on the axle as well at least as much as you do in the front to minimize negative affects to the steering in high speed cornering. Keeping your drag link and track bars as level as possible will also reduce the amount of axle shift you get while your suspension is articulated giving you more predictable handling.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default anyone use one from kevinsoffroad.com ?

was concidering one for my stock 12 rubicon because I had the death wobble already at 19,000 miles and they replaced the stabilizer shock ,and then gave it a alighnment saying my wheels were out only one degree but brought it into specs they said it was in specs already but they brought it in just for the better but . im thinking of adding a heavy bumper up front my nittos are heavy , and im thinkin the stock track bar seems to be a weak link in the jk front end . the ones on their site are like 220 bucks
is their a better one for me to go with that's not that price ? im just trying to plan ahead for strength in long term ownership, I don't trade up as some do usually, and im just going to put 19 /60 springs in no lift kit later
????????????? thanks or would this one be a good choice ? and will this even go on as a replacement on a unlifted jeep ? stock ?http://www.quadratec.com/products/16007_003_07.htm says 1 >6" lifts would it mean it would adjust from stock position too?

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-16-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Slapping a new stabilizer on will not fix your death wobble it will only mask it and do further damage to the rest of your front suspension components...check your drag link as it seems them or the track bar bolts are usually the culprit...replacing my drag links at 10k miles right now...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally at 3 1/2" or more the raised TB ad drag link flip will benefit your jeeps handling. I have 6" lift with adj control arms, adj track bar. I had a VERY FLIGHTY front end until I installed the flip kit. I would recommend the adj track bar also. It's beefier and I would venture to say with a 3 1/2 or more lift it's needed to help with all the stress factors.

Quick Reply: Adjustable front track Bar or Bracket ? + Drag Link