Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable front track bar

Old 11-06-2019, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Whether you need a drag link flip is questionable since you're right at the tipping point of 3.5in with the amount of lift you stated that you have.
3.5" Coils + 1" Spacers, if I read it right.

Originally Posted by Kelley1
Should I do a draglink flip and remove the track bar relocation bracket on the axle?
If the trackbar is flexing as much as you indicate, swapping to a stouter bar will help, and I will echo the opinion that you will likely see an additional improvement by going back to the stock pitman and raising the axle end of the draglink instead. Keep the bracket installed, as noted. (just to verify: the trackbar is raised from the axle, not dropped from the frame, correct?) And as another thought, which type of rear bracket is installed, frame or axle? (the number of people seeking help for handling/driveability issues with that specific kit ... heh)

For one of the pics you post, do a wide angle shot, from an angle that will show BOTH ends of both the trackbar and draglink in the same pic. (a way to check the steering angles it to open that pic in Paint or whatever and draw straight lines from mounting hole to mounting hole on both bars - then compare just how parallel those lines are.)

And for posting pics, I've never looked into any of the hosting deals and just upload straight from my computer. Click the Picture/Postcard looking icon in the strip at the top there, click 'Browse Your Device', navigate to the pic I want, click Open, then click Upload. Depending on the size it shows up as, I may go back to the pic and resize it then re-upload. But it's a fairly straight-forward process to post

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-06-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

If the trackbar is flexing as much as you indicate, swapping to a stouter bar will help, and I will echo the opinion that you will likely see an additional improvement by going back to the stock pitman and raising the axle end of the draglink instead. Keep the bracket installed, as noted. (just to verify: the trackbar is raised from the axle, not dropped from the frame, correct?) And as another thought, which type of rear bracket is installed, frame or axle? (the number of people seeking help for handling/driveability issues with that specific kit ... heh) Both front and rear track bar brackets are rough country that came with the lift kit and both attach to the axle. orrect on the 3.5 lift and 1" coil spacer. It was fairly level by tape measure, but horrible by the eye. I'm one of those that does not like the rake look. I know some do. I talked to RC about this, they said to install a 1" spacer if I didn't like the rake. I had everything aligned after I installed the lift and coil spacerC

For one of the pics you post, do a wide angle shot, from an angle that will show BOTH ends of both the trackbar and draglink in the same pic. (a way to check the steering angles it to open that pic in Paint or whatever and draw straight lines from mounting hole to mounting hole on both bars - then compare just how parallel those lines are.)

And for posting pics, I've never looked into any of the hosting deals and just upload straight from my computer. Click the Picture/Postcard looking icon in the strip at the top there, click 'Browse Your Device', navigate to the pic I want, click Open, then click Upload. Depending on the size it shows up as, I may go back to the pic and resize it then re-upload. But it's a fairly straight-forward process to post
Both front and rear track bar brackets are rough country that came with the lift kit and both attach to the axle. Correct on the 3.5 lift and 1" coil spacer. It was fairly level by tape measure, but horrible by the eye. I'm one of those that does not like the rake look. I know some do. I talked to RC about this, they said to install a 1" spacer if I didn't like the rake. I had everything aligned after I installed the lift and coil spacer
Old 11-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Correction, 3.5" "Rough Country" prone to sag coils and a 1" spacer.

I understand it's a safe assumption he likely needs a DL flip and likely currently has a drop pitman arm and thus the reason its working at all without currently having a DL flip installed but it's better to be safe than sorry. Already we can see the assumption was made that he likely had a frame side TB drop bracket but now we're learning he actually has axle side track bar brackets. A picture is worth a 1000 words was my thought to remove any assumptions and doubts.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Kelley1
Both front and rear track bar brackets are rough country that came with the lift kit and both attach to the axle. Correct on the 3.5 lift and 1" coil spacer. It was fairly level by tape measure, but horrible by the eye. I'm one of those that does not like the rake look. I know some do. I talked to RC about this, they said to install a 1" spacer if I didn't like the rake. I had everything aligned after I installed the lift and coil spacer
Don't sweat it, that wasn't a comment on brand or using a spacer to level. It was about 'total' lift height, (a question that was asked earlier) which plays into the want/need for steering correction, since that was being discussed by two others.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-06-2019 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kelley1 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Correction, 3.5" "Rough Country" prone to sag coils and a 1" spacer.

I understand it's a safe assumption he likely needs a DL flip and likely currently has a drop pitman arm and thus the reason its working at all without currently having a DL flip installed but it's better to be safe than sorry. Already we can see the assumption was made that he likely had a frame side TB drop bracket but now we're learning he actually has axle side track bar brackets. A picture is worth a 1000 words was my thought to remove any assumptions and doubts.
Yep, I agree. That's why I was asking for specifics rather than just starting with the name of my favorite trackbar mfg. Lots of pieces that could figure in to it. But at least there seems to be some progress beyond just slapping on a new trackbar and starting this same thread again next week.
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Ok guys, a little off the subject but I need help. The track bar info is very good. Thanks
But I have a tie rod stabilizer that I think may be instilled incorrectly. On. the axle there is the bracket for the track bar . The rod. end of stabilizer is attached to same bolt. Seems to me sit should be attached more in straight line with tie rod. See photos. Any help would be appreciated. If you could respond to mmflytie@att.net I would greatly appreciate it.

Marc

You see how its attached with same bolt as track bar? That seems to put it at a weird angle.

There is a hole below track bar bolt that I could use. Would that be better?
Old 11-07-2019, 04:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by mmflytie
There is a hole below track bar bolt that I could use. Would that be better?
yup, that is where it should go. you may need a spacer/sleeve to smoosh between the SS and the bracket mount for clearance, but that is the hole it should go in. That TB bolt shouldn't be used for anything other than holding the TB.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Hopefully these pictures will be clear enough

Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

I'ld also suggest getting a pic of your steering box where the drag link connects to the pitman arm so we can better see what you have going on there since RC lifts often use a drop pitman arm which can be troublesome.

I'm kind of surprised seeing a 3.5in RC lift without one of silly dual steering stabilizers installed which can often cause problems.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-07-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
yup, that is where it should go. you may need a spacer/sleeve to smoosh between the SS and the bracket mount for clearance, but that is the hole it should go in. That TB bolt shouldn't be used for anything other than holding the TB.
Doh! Wrong hole for that Steering Stabilizer to be inserted into. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: Adjustable front track bar