Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable front track bar

Old 11-06-2019, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
One issue with stability is the way RC designed their lifts to be cheap. They use drop pitman arms and frame drop brackets to flatten out the track bars and steering links. This lowers the roll center of the jeep and increases body roll. This paired with their soft coils and shocks and on-road stability suffers. While the factory track bar is not real robust it is not going to solve the issues with a poorly designed lift.

I would recommend either metal cloak or synergy for the link you are looking for.
I know it was to good to be true, it was a "complete" kit and was in my price range. The Jeep rides and drives great on the the interstate 70 mph, no issues at all, no complaints, but get it on a side road that's uneven, this thing is like jekyll and hyde! Very up tight feeling while driving. Almost a workout. Not enjoyable. I hate to remove everything and start over, but something has to be done. I do see the track bar flex while turning, is that a good place to start? Should I do a draglink flip and remove the track bar relocation bracket on the axle? Any advise well taken, Thanks. The only mods the jeep has is the 3.5 lift, 20x10 wheels, 35x12.5/20 nitto ridge grapplers. All suspension bolts/nuts front and rear torqued to spec, driven and rechecked

Last edited by Kelley1; 11-06-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-06-2019, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
It's all about the ease of adjustment during your initial install.
There's a cost to being lazy I don't disagree that it's marginally easier, but it's not the end of the world. It might take 2 minutes longer.

Originally Posted by Kelley1
Should I do a draglink flip and remove the track bar relocation bracket on the axle?
leave the raised TB bracket, remove the drop pitman arm and replace with factory, and THEN flip the DL. You need the raised TB bracket if you have either drop pitman or dlipped DL, it's just that the flipped DL is preferred vs. the drop pitman arm.
The following users liked this post:
Kelley1 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
There's a cost to being lazy I don't disagree that it's marginally easier, but it's not the end of the world. It might take 2 minutes longer.
Yeah, but when they're about the same price and you can work smarter rather than harder then the choice is easy. I'm seeing one more front TB purchase in your future and I'm betting it's going to be a SteerSmarts.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

I know it was to good to be true, it was a "complete" kit and was in my price range. The Jeep rides and drives great on the the interstate 70 mph, no issues at all, no complaints, but get it on a side road that's uneven, this thing is like jekyll and hyde! Very up tight feeling while driving. Almost a workout. Not enjoyable. I hate to remove everything and start over, but something has to be done. I do see the track bar flex while turning, is that a good place to start? Should I do a draglink flip and remove the track bar relocation bracket on the axle? Any advise well taken, Thanks. The only mods the jeep has is the 3.5 lift, 20x10 wheels, 35x12.5/20 nitto ridge grapplers. All suspension bolts/nuts front and rear torqued to spec, driven and rechecked
There's no such thing as a "complete" kit.....there's always improvements which can be made.

I recommend to anyone rolling on 35in or larger tires, upgrading your front steering components will be one of your best choices for driving on road. Which means replacing the Drag link, Tie-rod, and Front Track Bar with heavy duty version upgrades. The additional weight of the larger tires will cause all those items to flex more than they should, especially when steering since the stockers were not designed for the additional weight of the tires and the additional tread on the pavement from those tires. That all translates to a non responsive, loose steering feel and I'm sure that's compounded when going over bumpy side roads as you describe. Upgrading those components will give you back much firmer and responsive steering. It will be money well spent, even if it doesn't solve your current problems.

Whether you need a drag link flip is questionable since you're right at the tipping point of 3.5in with the amount of lift you stated that you have. You may want to post some pics of your front steering components including tie rod, track bar, drag link and steering box to get some additional advise to decide if you need a drag link flip or not. It's best to not flip if you don't have to.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-06-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Kelley1 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

There's no such thing as a "complete" kit.....there's always improvements which can be made.

Whether you need a drag link flip is questionable since you're right at the tipping point of 3.5in with the amount of lift you stated that you have. You may want to post some pics of your front steering components including tie rod, track bar, drag link and steering box to get some additional advise to decide if you need a drag link flip or not. It's best to not flip if you don't have to.
I disagree that not doing a DL flip is best, if you are at 3.5" of lift you should do a drag link flip to level out the steering links to raise the roll center and reduce bump steer. This is why the drop bracket and drop pitman arm is used by the cheaper lift manufacturers it reduces that bump steer but by doing it the cheap way the lower the roll center making the jeep roll more over ruff terrain and the drop pitman arm puts more stress on the steering box.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

I like my Teraflex adjustable Monster Track Bar. It uses factory style joints (ie maintenance free), it can be easily adjusted using the adjustment sleeve while still mounted. It wasn't available when I got mine, but I would look at the SteerSmarts XD Yeti series track bar which can also be adjusted while mounted and costs less than the TF. When it comes to steering components for the the JK, Steersmarts is typically at the top of most everyone's list similar to how MetalCloak is at the top for lifts.

Compare the Steersmarts XD Yeti adjustable front track bar to the MetalCloak, and Synergy where they're all at similar prices. The MC and Synergy are fine parts but the Steersmarts is just a much better design overall and becomes a no brainer.

Here's some comparisons pics of the Teraflex, and SteerSmarts XD Yeti to the stock TB.
do you know if they ever offer a discount/rebate for the yeti for forum members? or holiday discounts?
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I disagree that not doing a DL flip is best, if you are at 3.5" of lift you should do a drag link flip to level out the steering links to raise the roll center and reduce bump steer. This is why the drop bracket and drop pitman arm is used by the cheaper lift manufacturers it reduces that bump steer but by doing it the cheap way the lower the roll center making the jeep roll more over ruff terrain and the drop pitman arm puts more stress on the steering box.
That's the reasons I suggested he should post pics so we could visually see all those items you just listed but if you're able to diagnose over the internet based on assumptions then have at it.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

do you know if they ever offer a discount/rebate for the yeti for forum members? or holiday discounts?
You'll need to go through a vendor/retail seller where there are multiple vendors such as Northridge4x4 who offer a forum discount and offer holiday specials. There will likely be Black Friday deal promotions in the near future from multiple vendors. We all have our favorite vendors, I like Morris 4x4 because they will often have discount sales posted on their website without having to remember a forum discount code, or contacting someone on the forum via PM for a special discount offer. I also shop on Amazon and Ebay for parts. Basically, wherever I find the lowest price on the part I want, when I want it, and their name isn't Extreme Terrain, that's who gets my business. I typically don't need technical support, so that isn't ever in my considerations since by the time I'm ready to purchase a part, I've done more than enough homework on the part and most of its competitive alternatives.
Kelley1 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

You'll need to go through a vendor/retail seller where there are multiple vendors such as Northridge4x4 who offer a forum discount and offer holiday specials. There will likely be Black Friday deal promotions in the near future from multiple vendors. We all have our favorite vendors, I like Morris 4x4 because they will often have discount sales posted on their website without having to remember a forum discount code, or contacting someone on the forum via PM for a special discount offer. I also shop on Amazon and Ebay for parts. Basically, wherever I find the lowest price on the part I want, when I want it, and their name isn't Extreme Terrain, that's who gets my business. I typically don't need technical support, so that isn't ever in my considerations since by the time I'm ready to purchase a part, I've done more than enough homework on the part and most of its competitive alternatives.
I will take pictures of steering tonight when I get home, never posted pictures to this forum, what is the process, thanks for the help
Old 11-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I will take pictures of steering tonight when I get home, never posted pictures to this forum, what is the process, thanks for the help
The easiest way: When you post a message, look at the top tools and click on the "Image" icon, and then upload the photo. The downside to this, is that the image shows up small but we can click on it to expand the size.

The Best way: The best way is to use an image hosting website and then post an image link in your post. That's a little more complicated if you've never done it, but in my opinion easier to do if you're used to doing it. I use my Google Drive to host/store images and then post an image link which gets displayed in my posts.

For example (Using My Google Drive to post pictures here):

If you have a Google Drive, I'll post a step-by-step if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Adjustable front track bar