Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable Front Track Bar

Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Front Track Bar

I am having issues with my front track bar relocation bracket having play in it. I've tightened it to spec several times, but it still comes loose again over a period of a couple of weeks. Plus, my axle is about an inch off center.

SO... I ordered a new adj front track bar from Northridge and I'm just waiting for it to come in.

I just want to make sure that I have this correct, whenever I put on the adj front track bar on up front, I need to remove the Rough Country bracket that came with the lift and just put new track bar directly in the factory mount, correct?

Sorry to be such a newb, but I installed the lift myself, and I wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by feroxjb
I am having issues with my front track bar relocation bracket having play in it. I've tightened it to spec several times, but it still comes loose again over a period of a couple of weeks. Plus, my axle is about an inch off center.

SO... I ordered a new adj front track bar from Northridge and I'm just waiting for it to come in.

I just want to make sure that I have this correct, whenever I put on the adj front track bar on up front, I need to remove the Rough Country bracket that came with the lift and just put new track bar directly in the factory mount, correct?

Sorry to be such a newb, but I installed the lift myself, and I wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing.
whoa, hang on a minute. is it safe to assume that you have a dropped pitman arm installed as well? if so, that will need to come out and you will need to reinstall your factory pitman arm too. if you take off your track bar relocation bracket and not the dropped pitman arm, your steering geometery will be off and you will have steering issues.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ahhhh... I wasn't aware of that. Yeah, the RC lift came with a dropped pitman arm.

So when I install the adj track bar, I need to remove the bracket and the dropped pitman arm. Makes sense, hopefully I would've realized that whenever I went to do the install.

Good thing I didn't throw my old pitman arm away!

This is the way to go right? Why would RC spend the money making a bracket for the factory track bar, and a pitman arm... instead of just putting an adjustable track bar in the kit?

Is there any drawbacks to me going to an adjustable track bar?

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

This is the way to go right? Why would RC spend the money making a bracket for the factory track bar, and a pitman arm... instead of just putting an adjustable track bar in the kit?

Is there any drawbacks to me going to an adjustable track bar?

Sorry for all the questions!
a track bar relocation bracket and dropped pitman arm are something that you should have if you have a 4" lift or higher. what they do is correct your steering geometery so that it is closer to stock again and this will help give you better handling. a lot of kits actually include both a relocation bracket and an adjustable track bar as often times, the bracket will not provide enough correction to recenter your axle. needless to say, you optimally want both and, you may want to consider getting the bracket you have welded to the frame.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would RC spend the money making a bracket for the factory track bar, and a pitman arm...
I believe it's cheaper for them to produce kits this way. Some lower end kits dont even come with a drop arm or front relocation bracket.

Might want to consider beefing up the the bracket where your trackbar connects to the axle. Its a weak point on the JK's!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm... so you're saying my best bet, is to keep the bracket AND adjust the track bar down enough that I can use both.. and keep the dropped pitman arm?

Whenever I have my JK on level ground.. looking from the front, my axle looks to be sticking out more on the passenger side by about 1 1/2.. maybe 2 inches.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Hmmm... so you're saying my best bet, is to keep the bracket AND adjust the track bar down enough that I can use both.. and keep the dropped pitman arm?

Whenever I have my JK on level ground.. looking from the front, my axle looks to be sticking out more on the passenger side by about 1 1/2.. maybe 2 inches.
yep, that's what i'm saying. as far as your axle shift goes, i have no doubts that it is off as the relocation bracket is just there to keep things in line with your drag link. an adjustable track bar will help you to recenter things.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
a track bar relocation bracket and dropped pitman arm are something that you should have if you have a 4" lift or higher. what they do is correct your steering geometery so that it is closer to stock again and this will help give you better handling. a lot of kits actually include both a relocation bracket and an adjustable track bar as often times, the bracket will not provide enough correction to recenter your axle. needless to say, you optimally want both and, you may want to consider getting the bracket you have welded to the frame.
This is exactly what I've been looking for. 4" lift. Install the reloc bracket and a dropped pitman arm. They correct the geometry. The adj trackbar helps center the axle.

Thanks WOL!

Quick Reply: Adjustable Front Track Bar