Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustable control arms?? which ones are essential?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adjustable control arms?? which ones are essential?

ok, i am getting ready to order a 4" superlift kit and get 2 pairs of adjustable control arms. 1 front 1 rear.
my question is... are the front uppers or front lowers better to correct caster angle? same for the rear..

which ones do i need right now to correct caster on my axles? i will eventually get the other 2 sets when money allows but want to be able to correct my driveshaft angles so they dont destroy themselves.

thanks alot.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep,
exactly what toad said. Front lower and rear uppers. That will allow you to correct from caster in the front without shortening the wheelbase (by lengthening the arm). The rear upper will allow you to correct pinion angle, also without shortening your wheelbase (by lengthening the arm).
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I purchased this same lift and will be buying, at a minimum, lower front arms. Some people like the cam bolts that come with the kit, but I can't see cutting into the steel and making holes that are a bitch to fix. Rear uppers would be good as well to dial in the pinion angle...So if you're buying 2 sets of control arms you should be set for fronts lowers and rear uppers.

Either way, if you have a 2dr, like I do, driveshafts will have to be replaced if you're going to take it wheeling. With the lower fronts and rear uppers, you should be fine for a while, but save up to regear and get new shafts!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also take in account that front lowers and rear uppers,correct the drivetrain geometry,if you want more articulation youneed to have all the arms and new cv driveshaft
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i am going to regear at the same time i do the lift but wait a little bit on the driveshafts that is why i am trying to figure out which arms to get to prolong the life of it as much as possible. as far as offroading goes,... i wont be doing much of anything until after april since i am an accountant. but not much will go on anyways so i am thinking the stock driveshafts will be ok for a time.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

First on 2DR you need to change your front driveshaft and take out the trans/auto skid plate,(the rear driveshaft)you can use the rear oem driveshaft,but if you change the pinion angle using the oem (restrepo) with ajustable arms you are going to have vibrations

Quick Reply: adjustable control arms?? which ones are essential?