Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adjustable ball joints?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable ball joints?

so I have a 2007 jk unlimited rubicon. ball joints are shot. I bought the jeep lifted by the previous owner. looks like 3-4 inch lift. I am picking up moog ball joints. Do I need adjustable ball joint on the top and bottom or can i just use adjustable on the bottom?
I know i need to take it for alighnment but will it have to go twice once before and once after I install the new ball joints? I ask because I am not sure where to set the new ball joints at if I go with the adjustable on the bottom and as shot as the ones in it now are I am not sure what they can tell if I take it before I put the new ball joints in?
Help a noobie.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obxwrangler
so I have a 2007 jk unlimited rubicon. ball joints are shot. I bought the jeep lifted by the previous owner. looks like 3-4 inch lift. I am picking up moog ball joints. Do I need adjustable ball joint on the top and bottom or can i just use adjustable on the bottom?
I know i need to take it for alighnment but will it have to go twice once before and once after I install the new ball joints? I ask because I am not sure where to set the new ball joints at if I go with the adjustable on the bottom and as shot as the ones in it now are I am not sure what they can tell if I take it before I put the new ball joints in?
Help a noobie.
Thanks
Yes, they do make both upper and lower adjustable ball joints. You need to take it in before so they can tell you how much it is out before you buy the new joints. Then, if you feel qualified, you can put in the new ones. It may take only upper adjustable units or if it's really bad, lower ones too. Remember, they only make those joints in limited degree offset so if your 'c's are way out of this range, you may be only able to fix them close to what is normal.

Quick Reply: adjustable ball joints?