Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adj. track bar and my ABS light?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adj. track bar and my ABS light?

Hi,
I did the review on the rusty's 3.25in lift, I installed the track bar and now the steering wheel is off by a 1/4 turn to the right. And my abs light goes on and it sounds like something is rubbing internally. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to adjust the track bar until the the steering wheel is straight. Most likely the ABS is activating thinking you are in a slide.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's the best way to do that ? Should I put it on jack stands and keep turning till its straight? And I thought the tierod would cause that
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Did you lift your jeep? If so did you put an adjustable track bar on it. You've got me a little confused right now.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

If you put an adjustable track bar on it, adjust it while it is on the ground. Do not mess with the tie rod ends.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich6700
If you put an adjustable track bar on it, adjust it while it is on the ground. Do not mess with the tie rod ends.
Sorry I should have been a little bit more precise with my explanations. I do have an adjustable track Bar, And a 3.25 rusty's lift kit. I put the trackbar on while on the ground. I find it to be easier when doing suspension parts ...less movement.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay I may be missing something here but I am more worried you are. Your adjustable track bar is not to centre your steering wheel. What you have it for is to centre your axle front or rear under your jeep. The track bar mounts from one end of your axle to the opposite side of your jeep's frame. The more you lift your jeep without increasing the length of your track bar the more it shifts your axle to one side. So with jeep on ground adjust your adjustable track bar to a length where the axle is centered under your jeep. Adjusting your steering wheel is something altogether different and easily found in a beyond fool proof write up in project-jk.com write up section. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Okay I may be missing something here but I am more worried you are. Your adjustable track bar is not to centre your steering wheel. What you have it for is to centre your axle front or rear under your jeep. The track bar mounts from one end of your axle to the opposite side of your jeep's frame. The more you lift your jeep without increasing the length of your track bar the more it shifts your axle to one side. So with jeep on ground adjust your adjustable track bar to a length where the axle is centered under your jeep. Adjusting your steering wheel is something altogether different and easily found in a beyond fool proof write up in project-jk.com write up section. Hope this helps.
Oh yeah I know but it was only off by 1/4 of an inch. I centered the steering wheel by turning the drag link.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

Use the adj. trackbar for it's purpose, to recenter the axel.... Then (as it seems you've done) adjust the draglink to fix your steering wheel.

The ABS goes haywire if the steering wheel isn't straight because it think's you're going into a slider or under/over steering I believe.

Quick Reply: adj. track bar and my ABS light?