Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adj control arm setting?

Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adj control arm setting?

Hello quick question I'm trying to install my adj control arm in the front I have rear upper already and just got front lower. What the idea range for a 4inch suspension. Keep in mind I have a control arm drop bracket
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean with ideal range ?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lose the bracket first. Seems ideal for about 23" to 23.125".

I'm running 23.125" on both left and right.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Whatever length it takes to get you in the 4-5 degree caster range. If it's a bit flighty, lengthen them another turn. If you get some vibes, shorten them a bit.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
What do you mean with ideal range ?
I know the whole reason for adj control arm are to set the caster angle what is the idea caster angle?

I meant like what is the idea length bolt to bolt on the front lower adj control arm when you only got the front lower.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
Lose the bracket first. Seems ideal for about 23" to 23.125". I'm running 23.125" on both left and right.
awesome I was wondering if I should lose the drop bracket, I just didn't know if it would ride better with the drop bracket and then both upper and lower arms at 4inch
Old 09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You don't need both. But no harm in running brackets and adj arms. Gives you more fine tuning for the caster/pinion.

The brackets will drop the angles of the arms, making them more parallel to the frame. In theory, this improves handling/cornering/nose diving/whatever.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

With a 4" lift I found I had to add so much castor to prevent vibs that my front coils bowed enough to contact the sway bar links. Of course this was with a cv shaft, with the factory shaft you'll be fine with much less castor but you won't be able to flex on a curb without hitting the exhaust. What's your setup?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drexelsteve
With a 4" lift I found I had to add so much castor to prevent vibs that my front coils bowed enough to contact the sway bar links. Of course this was with a cv shaft, with the factory shaft you'll be fine with much less castor but you won't be able to flex on a curb without hitting the exhaust. What's your setup?
Factory drive shafts, 3.5 skyjacker and .75 spacer because winch and bumper. My spring touches the sway bar all I have in there now is the control arm drop bracket.

I have been thinking of removing it and inning just running upper and kier arms
Old 09-14-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BossierCity_Jk
I know the whole reason for adj control arm are to set the caster angle what is the idea caster angle? I meant like what is the idea length bolt to bolt on the front lower adj control arm when you only got the front lower.
The front & rear lower control arms cents the axles in the wheel houses and align the bump stops. The uppers set caster/pinion angle in front and pinion angle in the rear. If you do the front lowers only the setting is a bit longer than if you do both lowers and uppers, but not by much. Best rule of thumb, set them to 23 1/8" to start, have the caster checked and adjust a bit to get the best compromise between caster & pinion angle that delivers good steering an no front driveline vibration. With a 4" lift and short arms I ran them at 23 1/4" with 5 degrees caster. I have manual hubs, so the DL vibe issue was moot.

Last edited by SoK66; 09-14-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Adj control arm setting?