Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Additional weight of new bumper and winch

Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional weight of new bumper and winch

I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon. I am about to add a new front bumper and winch. This is going to add about 170 pounds to the front(minus weight of stock bumper). How much could I expect the front end to lower due to the additional weight? I have considered adding the Teraflex leveling kit. this would add 2 inches to the front and may compensate for some of the additional weight. Thoughts????
Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine dropped a little over an inch. 155 lbs total weight added.

I ran 1 1/2 inch spacers up front till I got new Rock Krawler springs.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default a year later

about ( 135lbs psc - mid bumper w/ skid plate ) not to much really not enough to bother anything you might just add a 3/4 spacer later up front if it bothers you mine has no lift no spacers just stock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335 (2).jpg
Views:	400
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	604437  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-01-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

You can't go by what other people have experienced when adding weight to the front end because of the huge difference in coil springs that Jeep uses. You can get a better idea if you look at the tag hanging off of your front coil and then ask people who have the same coil, but we have a JK and a JKU and I've found that the most reliable thing to do is take exact measurements before installing anything, then put the bumper and winch on and take new measurements. Then look for the spacer or coil that you want to make up the difference.

If you decide to go with new coils you should understand that if a manufacturer lists their coil as a "2 inch lift on a JKU" that is in comparison to a specific original setup, I.E. if you have a #15 front coil with a stock bumper and no winch their coil will lift you 2 inches. But if your coil is a #17 coil and you have a bumper and winch you may only see 1 inch of lift with their coil.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

[SUB][/SUB]
have a 170lb person sit on the bumper and see.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firecapt
I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon. I am about to add a new front bumper and winch. This is going to add about 170 pounds to the front(minus weight of stock bumper). How much could I expect the front end to lower due to the additional weight? I have considered adding the Teraflex leveling kit. this would add 2 inches to the front and may compensate for some of the additional weight. Thoughts????
Think about this. If you have coils that are 12" tall, then compress them 2" to 10" tall, then add a 2" spacer to get your height back, you still only have a 10" spring to work with. trying to compress and articulate with that shorter spring aren't helping you off-road, you need a fully articulable spring. Get springs designed for the added weight. If you want lift, adding spacers works but adding spacers to make a comressed spring essentially longer does not.

Look at this spring (an extreme example) what the hell are spacers going to do for its function?

Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	1816
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	604467
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added winch and bumper to my stock Rubicon before I did my lift and it dropped the front at least an inch. I would def recommend after market springs like Rock Krawler to take the extra weight. If you go with spacers it will make it ride real hard(I did this before my rock crawler lift).
Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Think about this. If you have coils that are 12" tall, then compress them 2" to 10" tall, then add a 2" spacer to get your height back, you still only have a 10" spring to work with. trying to compress and articulate with that shorter spring aren't helping you off-road, you need a fully articulable spring. Get springs designed for the added weight. If you want lift, adding spacers works but adding spacers to make a comressed spring essentially longer does not.

Look at this spring (an extreme example) what the hell are spacers going to do for its function?

That is an excellent way to explain it.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, you all convinced me. I decided go with the Teraflex performance leveling kit(springs instead of spacers) that's for the input!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hav a 13 Rubi,I added bumper and winch ((approx.220 lbs) with 1 inch spacers,it's been a year now and springs and everything is holding up good with no complaints, my springs are 14's and I picked up a pair of 17's from a unlimited in case I need to upgrade

Quick Reply: Additional weight of new bumper and winch