Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

additional dash gauges

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default additional dash gauges

I will be installing an auto tranny cooler soon and would like to include a fluid temp sensor. Can you post links to a sensor install.

Also, what additional sensors/dash displays are worth having?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Get an AeroForce gauge. It will read transmission sump temperature.

It will also read more things than you will know what to do with!

If the AeroForce gauge is more than you want to spend, below is my take on where temp probe should be installed:

This is what my research has revealed about trans temp probes located in the various points on the 42RLE transmission.
The following is what I have concluded based on my best effort to get the facts.

Line out to the cooler:

This will show temperature of fluid coming out of the trans, but it will be variable with short term spikes as the TC locks and unlocks. Short term temp spikes are normal and not detrimental to transmission fluid life. A probe in this location can lead to unnecessary anxiety.

Line from cooler to transmission:
This will show the fluid after cooling, and will be lower than what the pump picks up from the pan.

In one of the many pressure ports on the side of the transmission:
This will show temp of the fluid only when the particular circuit is in operation. You would have to choose which port to monitor. They are: torque converter clutch on; torque converter clutch off; reverse; low/reverse; 2/4; under-drive; over-drive.

This brings us to the pan:
This will show temp of fluid the pump picks up and sends through the transmission. The sump is sort of a "dampener" for fluid temperatures. It reflects the steady state temperature of the fluid. Long term temp rise, which is what degrades the transmission and fluid, will show in the sump. As mentioned above, short spikes in temp as the fluid leaves the transmission are not a factor.
The transmission's factory temp sensor monitors the fluid in the sump. The normal programs in the tranny controller respond to sump fluid temperatures.
The troubleshooting charts and operational limits are based on sump temps.
Some brands of transmission temp gauges recommend an inline probe location IF installing it in the pan is not possible for some reason.

Several local transmission shops recommend the pan location. However, they say most people choose one of the inline locations for ease of installation.

Based on what I have learned, I have installed the temp sensor in the pan.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at Aeroforce Interceptor it has a lot of other stuff beyond transfer temp too.
The big plus install is a simple plug in.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluv
... Also, what additional sensors/dash displays are worth having?
If you're running an Android phone, check out the Torque app. I don't know if it provides transmission temp, but it's the cheapest way to read the OBD port. Here's a video ...

Torque App YouTube Video

Additional sensors/dash displays: The most obvious one missing, which isn't on the OBD bus, is engine oil pressure.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance someone could show a pic of how they mounted that gauge? It looks like anywhere on the dash would block the drivers vision. I would like to see some different mounting options. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are where i mounted my gauges... boost and the aeroforce gauge .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gage..JPG
Views:	114
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	73892  
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Quick Reply: additional dash gauges