Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding a steering stabilizer

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a steering stabilizer

Could someone tell me if I should plan on adding a steering stabilizer with new tires. Im going to be picking up 285 mud tires soon and need to know if this is another $$$ i need to get. my wife drives the Jeep more then me so i want it to continue to be easy to drive.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Your JK has a factory SS already, but they have been known to fail prematurely. If you opt for a new one get one with a relocation bracket. I run a /Fox, and I am sure others will chime in with their favorite (OME, Teraflex, etc.)

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-27-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Rough Country dual SS which comes with all the hardware to relocate - no extras needed. If you want to relocate it is a good price. Dual is overkill for most appplications, me I do a lot of streambeds and I don't wear myself out holding onto the wheel.

All that being said, no sense in replacing your SS until it fails. You can drive without one.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by knight1000
Could someone tell me if I should plan on adding a steering stabilizer with new tires. Im going to be picking up 285 mud tires soon and need to know if this is another $$$ i need to get. my wife drives the Jeep more then me so i want it to continue to be easy to drive.
you do not need to replace your steering stablizer unless it has gone bad. trust me, i've run 37's with a factory stabilizer and without any problems.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, just when it does go bad replace it with aftermarket. The stock one isn't worth buying again.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife

you do not need to replace your steering stablizer unless it has gone bad. trust me, i've run 37's with a factory stabilizer and without any problems.
Agree. My factory started leaking so I replaced mine then
Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I agree.. I just replaced a bunch of stuff up front and SS was not one of them. It feels great with stock. you do not need it if you are only adding wheels/tires...

Quick Reply: Adding a steering stabilizer