Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding Skyjacker 3/4" spacers

Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Skyjacker 3/4" spacers

Okay, so when I had my lift installed, I gave the dealership the spacers to install as well. When I went to pick the Jeep up they told me that they didn't use the spacers because it would have made the front end sit too high up. When I explained to them that it was to offset the weight from the bumper/winch that I would be adding in the next week, they convinced me that the springs were stiff enough that the weight wouldn't affect the ride height.

Now that I have the bumper/winch on, the front end sits too low. VERY FRUSTRATING. Just to install the winch/bumper they charged an arm and a leg. So, instead of bringing the Jeep back to have the spacers thrown in, I would like to try to do it myself.

Can anyone tell me how to compress the springs, so that I can slip the spacer in? I am limited on tools and experience wrenching, but I would love to save the $100+ that the dealer will charge me to add something that I already asked them to add in the first place.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmarketg4
Okay, so when I had my lift installed, I gave the dealership the spacers to install as well. When I went to pick the Jeep up they told me that they didn't use the spacers because it would have made the front end sit too high up. When I explained to them that it was to offset the weight from the bumper/winch that I would be adding in the next week, they convinced me that the springs were stiff enough that the weight wouldn't affect the ride height.

Now that I have the bumper/winch on, the front end sits too low. VERY FRUSTRATING. Just to install the winch/bumper they charged an arm and a leg. So, instead of bringing the Jeep back to have the spacers thrown in, I would like to try to do it myself.

Can anyone tell me how to compress the springs, so that I can slip the spacer in? I am limited on tools and experience wrenching, but I would love to save the $100+ that the dealer will charge me to add something that I already asked them to add in the first place.
Go pick up some spring compressors at harbor freight..that's one way to do it. Otherwise, get a couple jack stands and a hydro jack and drop that axle and do it the regular way. It shouldn't be hard at all..
Old 10-20-2007, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

if you told them to install them ,,they should honor the install man,
go back and demand they install it.

now, I dont see why you pay for a stubby and winch install ,,it will be great if you start doing stuff yourself, its 50% of the fun.

ok back to the question.

block rear tires,

jack up the front , remove front tires, and put them underneath the jeep just under the driver and passenger area,
put jack stands on each side right behind the arms on the frame,

now put the jack on the front axle to prevent from droping to hard when you do this :

disconect swaybar,
disconect shocks
now the axle its droped by lowering easy the jack.
remove jack

next
jack upo one side puting a piece of wood between the jack and the hub, "flexing the axle"
this will let you remove the oposite spring very easy ,,slip in the spacer and then lower the jack and do the same for the other side.

Last edited by luisjg; 10-20-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

If you have basic tools to undo the bolts, and a way to jack the front end up high enough, securely, you don't need a spring compressor, besides most of those things are dangerous. They'll take your face off if you're not careful. I put mine in just by dropping the axle down and slipping them on top of the springs. It just took disconnecting the sway bar, shocks, brake line brackets and track bar. Wasn't that bad.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 10-20-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How completely annoying. But, here's a link you can follow that'll show you how to lower your coils enough so that they can be removed and new spacers added.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Quick Reply: Adding Skyjacker 3/4" spacers