Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding Rubi Axle, how to wire the lockers?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Rubi Axle, how to wire the lockers?

Alright, I am starting to get my project started.. I have an X model and am putting a rubicon front and rear axle on my Jeep.

I am thinking that the rubicon wiring harness you can buy might not work so im wondering how others wired up there lockers??

any wiring diagrams and advice would be appreciated! If the factory wiring harness and switch wont work what switches did you use?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can always just wire it directly to a switch without using any of the factory Rubicon harnesses. Much better this way as you can lock/unlock as you want. That's what I did when I had an XJ and put Rubicon axles on there.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Former Member

Default Re: Adding Rubi Axle, how to wire the lockers?

As far as I know, you can not make them work just by adding the harness. I would buy the harness and use the plugs fir the lockers and cut the rest off.

It's a simple postive/negative switch. The other one is to show the lockers are engaged. It's not needed but is nice to have.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
As far as I know, you can not make them work just by adding the harness. I would buy the harness and use the plugs fir the lockers and cut the rest off.

It's a simple postive/negative switch. The other one is to show the lockers are engaged. It's not needed but is nice to have.
FT got it... I bought the harness of QT for around $75-80 and cut off the two locker plugs. I wired mine outside of the ECU/CANBUS - I don't think you want to try going through that. Basically a power and ground wire to the locker plug you just cut off, plug that male plug it into the axle female plug. You don't even need a relay if you have a good switch, but I did use a relay.

The sensor that will indicate if engaged or not, is the other plug on the axle. You can wire this to a mountable LED if you want to tell it is engaged. (Normally this second plug lights up the dash light but since you are not going to go through CANBUS/ECU it will not) I did not use the sensor plug/LED idea yet, as I can easily tell when engaged, but I may do it someday if I get bored.

As for tips, make sure you make good connections at the plug-end of the wiring. Solder it, heatshrink it - it will be subject to water, mud, muck, etc. (hopefully) and you don't want to do a shotty job.

As noted, wired like this it will engage in 2HI, 4HI, 4LO unlike stock setup requiring a signal from 4LO. To protect from accidental engagement on highway, etc. I used a covered toggle switch, as opposed to a normal rocker. A few bucks at radio shack in the bulk connectors area. You can use nicer looking rockers like the ARB ones or whatever, but just be careful not to bump them while on pavement.

If you have any other questions let me know, but its really that easy...

Last edited by redrockin7; 05-07-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Default hmmm....

Let me get this straight,

You bought the wiring harness from quadratec, the one for $75, and then cut off the plugs that plug into the diffs? What about the switch panel they sell? The one that has the factory switches. Can you use it to activate the lockers? Just so it looks stock but operates single or dual lockers, or in any tranfer case mode.....
Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Former Member

Default Re: Adding Rubi Axle, how to wire the lockers?

The factory one they sell will no work, it'll work for the swaybar but not the lockers. Unless qtech figured out what no one else has.

The lockers use relays that are not with that harness.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the front Rubi 44 swap in my X. I bought the $75 harness from local Jeep dealer. Cut one of the plugs off, installed it to a toggle switch on the dash with a inline fuse. Sold the rear plug to a coworker and kept the rest. Been working great for 38,000 miles.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

is there any way to just get the connectors, rather than having to pay $70 bux for something im going to hack up. i just got a rubi 44 under mine and need to wire her up as well but i dont want to pay that much just to cut the plugs off.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by JdTms11
is there any way to just get the connectors, rather than having to pay $70 bux for something im going to hack up. i just got a rubi 44 under mine and need to wire her up as well but i dont want to pay that much just to cut the plugs off.
I'm not sure, but i bought the harness and took of the rubicon connectors, I then removed the sway bar harness, fog harness, and some other connectors, I sold enough of them to end up paying about $10 for the plugs...

just a suggestion
Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JdTms11
You might be able to solder some wires to the leads that come out of the housing.

Quick Reply: Adding Rubi Axle, how to wire the lockers?