Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding a locker...which axle and roughly how much $

Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a locker...which axle and roughly how much $

ok.

don't hate me but i signed up for the jeep jamboree platinum group so i can sign up for jeep jamborees like a week ahead of everyone else...finally got tired of never being able to sign up!

but i noticed that a bunch of the jamborees i would drive to get to require at least one locker

not having lockers i don't know much other then the basics...

so how hard/complicated is it to add a locker and is there a preference to which axle you install it to?

matthew
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Much more complicated than just turning a wrench, you'll probably need to have it done for you. Rear is preferred if you're only doing one, especially if you have a D30 up front.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Rear,could use a Tru-Trac up front.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually,if you know what you are doing then a front locker would be the way to go assuming you keep your tire size down on that d 30,you can always finesse the rear to lock decently well with just the right amount of e brake application.we call this the poor mans locker and it works pretty good.that plus the front locker would give you the greatest advantage offroad but if you are new to the sport then a rear locker might be the way to go for you
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Front locker seems too work for me. You can install an aussie locker pretty easy your self.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking to upgrade to a front Teraflex 44, because it's stronger than a regular Rubi 44. Then with alloy shafts "I am told" it gets about the same strength of a stock 60. Also a "mechanical locker", because I have seen air hoses and elec. lines snag, break and pinch in poor conditions.

What I'm getting at is if you're going to spend the money, do it as well as what you can afford. The above set up will run me close to 6k. I feel it's worth the added strength.

Not that any of the above would have helped my last situation...

Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	387198
Click image for larger version

Name:	winchin.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	387205

Last edited by Rayster; 11-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

I've done some pretty decent semi-tough jeepin with my stock jeep by following a bunch of really experienced guys in our local club

My issue is the jeep jamboree folks...there are three jamborees I want to goto and two of them require at least one locker

I'm looking for a good turn key solution, I've got an excellent local 4x4 shop who can install whatever I want, I'd just like to walk in there with some idea of what I need instead of just going in cold with no concept

I think I know that I need an air supply plus the locker in the axle assembly, do I need to regear while I'm at it?

Matthew
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I've done some pretty decent semi-tough jeepin with my stock jeep by following a bunch of really experienced guys in our local club

My issue is the jeep jamboree folks...there are three jamborees I want to goto and two of them require at least one locker

I'm looking for a good turn key solution, I've got an excellent local 4x4 shop who can install whatever I want, I'd just like to walk in there with some idea of what I need instead of just going in cold with no concept

I think I know that I need an air supply plus the locker in the axle assembly, do I need to regear while I'm at it?

Matthew
What's your end goal for your jeep? Tire size etc
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JE8154
What's your end goal for your jeep? Tire size etc
I'm pretty happy with my current 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's

I just need to pass the jamborees specs, just surprised how many of their trips now require lockers and some require winches

Matthew
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I'm pretty happy with my current 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's

I just need to pass the jamborees specs, just surprised how many of their trips now require lockers and some require winches

Matthew
well if you're happy where you are you shouldn't need to do gears. You don't need air unless you're going to get an air locker. I just ordered gears and an arb air locker for the rear all in all I'm going to be in for almost $2900 after its all installed. $1k of that being just the air locker and compressor. You could probably get a mechanical locker for the front axle parts/install for like $750 depending on labor rates. But I don't know how risky that really is with 3.73's and 33's on a D30, you could be completely fine like that.

Quick Reply: Adding a locker...which axle and roughly how much $