Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

adding a locker

Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adding a locker

OK I got an 08 X with the 3.73 Dana 44 rear end. but what is the gear ratio of the front Dana 30? I see the lockers for the Dana 30 with 3.73 or higher ratio, and the ones for the Dana 44 are for 3.73 or lower ratio. I'm not planning on doing any serious wheeling this year, but down the road might. Do I really need lockers front and rear for moderate wheeling? If not should I go with front or rear.

Or am I just over thinking this whole thing, I never had lockers on my YJ, but it did have limited slip rear diff.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
OK I got an 08 X with the 3.73 Dana 44 rear end. but what is the gear ratio of the front Dana 30? I see the lockers for the Dana 30 with 3.73 or higher ratio, and the ones for the Dana 44 are for 3.73 or lower ratio. I'm not planning on doing any serious wheeling this year, but down the road might. Do I really need lockers front and rear for moderate wheeling? If not should I go with front or rear.

Or am I just over thinking this whole thing, I never had lockers on my YJ, but it did have limited slip rear diff.
I'd go for the one locker for now since you will only be doing some light duty wheeling.. You definately dont want to jump in full steam with dual lockers and have the vehicle out weight the driver in ability.. (assuming you've not had experience with dual lockers in the past ? )

Dual lockers on an offcamber slippery surface for example the rear of the vehicle will tend to want to slip down the surface getting you into a bad spot in quite a hurry.

In any case there is no rush, advance your vehicle as your own driver skill advances. I started off with one locker , found my limits with it then moved on to the 2nd locker and found my limits with that. Sometimes not always the wisest choice to find your limit but knowing your own ability and not just the vehicles is a must.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

i would just go with a front locker for now. I dont have any lockers, just the factory LSD and i would say my wheeling falls into the moderate category. As long as you pick good lines and know when to brake or gas you can get by with the LSD. I agree with the above, dont get mod crazy, mod as you need it. Wheel it like it is and decide what you need to suite your style and then start building. Hard to ever accomplish anything if you dont have a goal
Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK start with just a front,, that still brings us back the the first question.. How do I tel what gear ratio is the front stock Dana 30?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

i think the front and rear are the same from the factory so whatever your window sticker says. If you cant find it or didnt have it you can email Jeep with your VIN # and ask them and they can give you a full list of vehicle specs
Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

The front and rear gear ratio's are always the same. Otherwise you would break lots of stuff
Old 12-23-2007, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Front ratio will be the same as the rear, else you will severely damage the drive train as one set of tries to turn at a different rate than the other.

SV

Quick Reply: adding a locker