Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding Hitch

Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYRacBaller
I don't plan on towing with it, although you never know, but I have this4 bike hitch mount Thule rack which I would be lost without in the summer as I usually carry three bikes with me every weekend.
The only problem you might have is with the bike carrier clearing the spare tire. I have a Sport Works hitch mounted bike carrier and it will not fit without an extender between the receiver and the carrier. The carrier has part of the folding mechanism a few inches out from where it goes into the receiver and this part hits the spare tire. :sad:
Old 03-03-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdrogers
The only problem you might have is with the bike carrier clearing the spare tire. I have a Sport Works hitch mounted bike carrier and it will not fit without an extender between the receiver and the carrier. The carrier has part of the folding mechanism a few inches out from where it goes into the receiver and this part hits the spare tire. :sad:
I picked up my Jeep this morning. Looking at the hitch I didn't think my Thule bike carrier would clear the spare tire with out an extender. It does by about two inches. Fit's great. I'm very happy.

When I put on new rims and tires I will probably have to pick up an extender.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I still haven't gotten the hitch yet but am not afraid to put it on myself after all the advice. I won't be adding the wiring harness unless I plan on towing but will keep the info in mind.

I also have a Thule bike rack...the 4 bike rack which pivots down (I don't remember the model number) but am hoping it is like RedWrangler's and will clear the spare.

I have got the 17" inch stock wheel package...what are you riding on RedWrangler?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oooops sorry for the back to back post...redWrangler congrats on picking up your Wrangler. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine!:toung:
Old 03-03-2007, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

Just wanted to show everyone what I did..

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/custom-hitch-4103/
Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great job on that hitch. Looks great! I am not that mechanically inclined, wish I was!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Killer mod 1badjk!

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get an extender also. My Allen 540 bikerack looks like it will hit the spare when the "arms" are rotated up into position.

Anybody know what gives on the Hidden Hitch availability?
I ordered mine from Quadratec a couple weeks ago, and it is still on backorder.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

redwrangler - which Thule bike rack do you have? That is next on my list and have seen posts where racks didn't clear the spare. You mention yours did (at least with stock wheels/tires. Just curious if it was a newer rack still available. Hate the idea of ordering and having to return racks. Thanks!

DebnJohn - as a side note, while I got my hitch on the vehicle I have purchased from etrailer.com before for another hitch with zero problems. If you cancel at Quadratec (I hate that they don't show inventory availabilty) maybe consider a place like etrailer (http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_J...Unlimited.htm).

Last edited by deadspot; 03-04-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deadspot
redwrangler - which Thule bike rack do you have? That is next on my list and have seen posts where racks didn't clear the spare. You mention yours did (at least with stock wheels/tires. Just curious if it was a newer rack still available. Hate the idea of ordering and having to return racks. Thanks!
I forgot the model number but it's the Thue rack that swings away which actually works really well with the swing away door of the Jeep. It holds 4 bikes. I've had it for 5 years. It's usually attached to my wifes Honda Pillot. It's held up really well.

Here are a few pictures. The stock rims and tires are Goodyear 245/75/16 with the 16" rims. You can see I have plenty of clearence. I plan on putting on 285/70/17 on 17 rims with a 4.5 back spacing.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by redWRANGLER; 03-04-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NYRacBaller
I also have a Thule bike rack...the 4 bike rack which pivots down (I don't remember the model number) but am hoping it is like RedWrangler's and will clear the spare.

I have got the 17" inch stock wheel package...what are you riding on RedWrangler?

The stock 16" rims with 245/75R/16

I think it will depend on your tires not your rim. If you look at the pictures I posted, there's at least 2-3 inches between the rack and my tire.

Quick Reply: Adding Hitch